Hello,
I need help and guidance to restore my Marantz 1180dc with distortion sound.
First i want to tell the story when i get the Marantz 1180DC.
I bought online with help of some AK members. It is singing, i feel it distortion, and when rotating the volume knob, we must rotate it until 10 o'clock to get regular listening level, but still i feel it low. I feel there is something wrong with this amp. Then i complain to the seller, they say they have a tech guy that already service it. They usually use it with phono in. And they blame maybe my speaker is not good enogh for this amp. OK, i dont want to argue with them, i just so much in love with this amp, im sure i can find it later what is the mistake, i trust there is Google, ChatGPT and AK members! Even if im in dead end, i will send it to a tech guy (last option, since i dont want to ship). Also no tech guy around in here small town.
After a view days of hearing, compared to my Marantz PM-750dc (Philips era) still amazing! But i have feeling even the distorted 1180dc still has something special.
So i start open the top and bottom panel, while im waiting all tools that i bought arrived, i found 1 big mistake! The potentiometer for the volume is not original, they force to make it work, and its marking 100k Ohm! In SM Part RS09 is 50K Ohm. Is that why i feel something wrong when rotating the volume knob? Already found the potentiometer, while im waiting it.
I have questions, im not expert, i know how to use solder, desolder, us multimeter, know a bit DC, AC. I was making an amplifier when i was in high school. Not creating, just buying modules like pre amp, amp, pots, metal case, etc, transformers with help of my friends that study in electronics, and also making my own speaker. I mean building speaker.
And also still building Dim Bulb Tester. And already watch many youtube videos like Ah-Fix-It.
My question is:
1) Where to start? Which board to start like maybe preamp, relay board?
2) When checking voltage for example in PN00 Relay board there is 50v, we put the red probe of multimeter there, and where to put the black probe? I saw in youtube people sometimes put in the negative/black channel of speaker connector pin. Others put in ground/metal case, ChatGPT tells to put on ground/case.
That is for now.
Still waiting for the potentiometer to arrive, and collecting data from all thread connected to 1180dc and other blog outside AK, which caps that i plan to recap.
I need help and guidance to restore my Marantz 1180dc with distortion sound.
First i want to tell the story when i get the Marantz 1180DC.
I bought online with help of some AK members. It is singing, i feel it distortion, and when rotating the volume knob, we must rotate it until 10 o'clock to get regular listening level, but still i feel it low. I feel there is something wrong with this amp. Then i complain to the seller, they say they have a tech guy that already service it. They usually use it with phono in. And they blame maybe my speaker is not good enogh for this amp. OK, i dont want to argue with them, i just so much in love with this amp, im sure i can find it later what is the mistake, i trust there is Google, ChatGPT and AK members! Even if im in dead end, i will send it to a tech guy (last option, since i dont want to ship). Also no tech guy around in here small town.
After a view days of hearing, compared to my Marantz PM-750dc (Philips era) still amazing! But i have feeling even the distorted 1180dc still has something special.
So i start open the top and bottom panel, while im waiting all tools that i bought arrived, i found 1 big mistake! The potentiometer for the volume is not original, they force to make it work, and its marking 100k Ohm! In SM Part RS09 is 50K Ohm. Is that why i feel something wrong when rotating the volume knob? Already found the potentiometer, while im waiting it.
I have questions, im not expert, i know how to use solder, desolder, us multimeter, know a bit DC, AC. I was making an amplifier when i was in high school. Not creating, just buying modules like pre amp, amp, pots, metal case, etc, transformers with help of my friends that study in electronics, and also making my own speaker. I mean building speaker.
And also still building Dim Bulb Tester. And already watch many youtube videos like Ah-Fix-It.
My question is:
1) Where to start? Which board to start like maybe preamp, relay board?
2) When checking voltage for example in PN00 Relay board there is 50v, we put the red probe of multimeter there, and where to put the black probe? I saw in youtube people sometimes put in the negative/black channel of speaker connector pin. Others put in ground/metal case, ChatGPT tells to put on ground/case.
That is for now.
Still waiting for the potentiometer to arrive, and collecting data from all thread connected to 1180dc and other blog outside AK, which caps that i plan to recap.
Last edited:

























