• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Needed - SAE MK IV DM Repair

THF2

Where we are going, there are no roads
Folks:

I just inherited SAE MK IV DM amp and everything looks to be in working order except the power cord needs to be replaced.

I thought that this was going to be a rather simple task but, as with most things it is not.

The specific problem that I am having is that there is some sort of fastener/ connector/
Insulator that is located right where the power cord comes into the amp (picture below).

I cannot figure out how to loosen the fastener/connector/Insulator so that I can replace the power cord.

Any thoughts or help would be most appreciated!

upload_2021-6-6_1-28-45.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
I just finished restoring my SAE Mark IVD and it sounds great; however, it bugs me that it has an ungrounded two prong plug.

Is there a way to convert it to a grounded plug or is there a good reason to leave it as a two prong? My Mark XXX preamp also uses ungrounded plugs (power wire and switched and unswitched outlets) so that would also have to be converted.

Thanks,
Peter
 
I don't know about that. I've not done that myself, just made sure what was there is all good. I'm sure someone on here could better answer about adding a ground / three wire cord or not.
 
My SAE MK IX B preamp is the same in that it does have the ungrounded two plug power cord. It does however have the polarized plug ( one is slightly larger than the other) as do the switched outlets in the back.

On a somewhat related note, my Sansui 8D does not. I gave it no thought until I recently bought a new power amp and wanted to use the 8D as a preamp. The switched outlet in the back is not polarized. It was like I was caught in a time trap! I searched through all of my cables and adapters and could not come up with the adapter. My solution was to put all of it on a surge protector placed right next to the electronics that I use as the main on/off switch. While this may be a less elegant solution, it probably is the safer one.
 
Since the wider prong is neutral, then it ought to be easy to figure what should be connected to what.

Inside the unit, the neutral should go to the fuse and the line should go to the power switch. I’m getting an SAE Mark IXB (very soon in the mail) and I know it won’t have three prong outlets but also bet it isn’t polarized; however, It could become polarized easily (more easily than become three pronged).

I think,
Peter
 
Since the wider prong is neutral, then it ought to be easy to figure what should be connected to what.

Inside the unit, the neutral should go to the fuse and the line should go to the power switch. I’m getting an SAE Mark IXB (very soon in the mail) and I know it won’t have three prong outlets but also bet it isn’t polarized; however, It could become polarized easily (more easily than become three pronged).

I think,
Peter

Oh I wouldn’t count on that. I’ve seen a lot of the schematics showing the black thru the fuse and then to the switch.
 
Back
Top Bottom