• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help needed with Pioneer pl-71 side bearings/ pins

GregLecewicz

New Member
Would you kindly direct me to a link or tell me how to remove the side bearings from my Pioneer PL-71. The pins are smooth , no provisions to unscrew them to repair the bearing. Thank you so much !
 
Register to hide this ad
Judging from this photo (I wish it were a true close-up) they could be the normal screws but without slots — or covers to conceal the screws for aesthetic reasons. If it were mine, I'd try to loosen them with pliers (with cloth or tape to prevent marring the finish). If they turn, I'd proceed as if they were normal screws. If they come off, there will be normal screws underneath.

But then again, I've always taken too many chances in life...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=373C40A64F4B748BA913CF0F0D18AA6B486C0908&thid=OIP.sZfKZ2w-d8APHLeABXSm1AHaE7&mediaurl=http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/783060-vintage-pioneer-pl71-turntable-pretty-fine-table-pretty-fine-shape.jpg&exph=682&expw=1024&q=Pioneer+pl-71&selectedindex=60&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=2,6 —
 
Last edited:
What tou see are caps covering the screws. As far as I remember you can pull them out, gently with pliers with a bit of cloth between the pliers and the cap.
 
The metal they've used is I assume the same thickness as the strobe cover- way too thin to use any pliers on it, even thru some rubber isolator. My fingers are very strong and I can't get them moving by hand. I'm looking for an opinion of somebody that has the same table and had done a horizontal bearing service. Thank you for your help !
 
I have the PL-71, but have an opinion that those bearings are adjusted properly. If you want to try getting the covers off, try one of those silicone grippers used to take lids off of jars.....
 
Thank you for the service manual, I've checked it long time ago. There is nothing about removing the screws. You can't tell anything from the diagram except the parts view. I need to repair one side of that black plastic bearing sleeve - it was damaged in transport.
 
They are stronger than you think. No risk of deforming them unless you are careless. Try with a drop of wd40 a couple of minutes before.
 
Thank you very much again. Here is the report: The side bearings caps came off with a gentle yet firm twist thru a thin piece of rubber from a bike tube. The caps are screwed onto the bearing pins. You should put a drop of fine penetrant before you unscrew the pins. There is a slot for a flat screwdriver at the end of the pin but I don't recommend using much force to start it because you will break it in half ( as inflicted here by prior owner). Needle nose pliers do a good job unscrewing the pin with the contra-nut. A little grinding off at the end of the broken off side and cutting a new slot with a thin dremmel wheel does the job. Lubricate and instal back in , making sure both sides are evenly spaced. Do not over tighten. The end caps screw on the pins by hand only, no need to use pliers. Mystery solved. The tonearm of PL-71 is indeed well made. The side bearings sit in a black silicone rubber to mute any unwanted vibes the bearings might generate.
 
Back
Top Bottom