• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help please!to identify old mysterious midrange

peters8

Active Member
Hi guys!
Please could you help me to identify this old midrange?...Please I'm so desperate because I can't get any information about this midrange.
here you can see two pictures:

http://i29.servimg.com/u/f29/14/79/41/69/p9250312.jpg

http://i29.servimg.com/u/f29/14/79/41/69/p9250310.jpg

The midrange is the black one on the right, of course;on the magnet there's a code:78313 as you can notice.
The woofer is an Heco product, the tweeter is a Phenolic Ring made by CTS...but I can't understand what can be the midrange :scratch2::no::pity:
Please could you help me, guys?:ntwrthy::ntwrthy::ntwrthy:
Thank you!:thmbsp:
Ciao
 
Register to hide this ad
Gosh, you really have me baffled here! (No pun intended.) Since that midrange driver does not have a valid EIA code showing, it was probably sourced from Japan (or possibly Europe) from a manufacturer like Foster/Fostex. I'd guess Japan as Euro drivers usually have country of origin and model number markings that allow the manufacturer to be identified.

The important thing is not which company made the midrange driver but rather whether it sounds good and works well with the other drivers and crossover utilized. The construction quality looks very good, so enjoy your new acquisition!
 
the tweeter is a Phenolic Ring made by CTS...
Can you validate that claim?

I have never seen a cadmium plated product from CTS.

I have never seen a CTS product without a clear EIA/RETMA code stamped on it.
 
Hi dear Bowtie427!!!
You're right: CTS always stamped its EIA code on the speakers made by it.
However,the tweeter you see in the picture looks a CTS product or probably some "CTS-copy" made here in Europe.
Look at this picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126793071@N06/15151500749/

I'm not so sure, but I suppose it could be a phenolic ring CTS tweeter or at least a phenolic ring speaker made by other eurpean brand.
What do you think about this "mistery"???!!!
Thank you for your precious support, my friend.
Ciao!
 
I don't know why but that square back plate on the magnet reminds me of audax... I'm sure I have a couple of those things lying around here somewhere...
 
I don't know why but that square back plate on the magnet reminds me of audax... I'm sure I have a couple of those things lying around here somewhere...

Hi dear 2ndtimelucky!
I think you're really the only one who can give me this "response".
Could I ask you an immense favor (if for you it isn't a problem, of course)?
Could you take a picture of your moidranges, please?
We could compare them and then we could draw conclusions:yes:
I repeat: if that is problematic for you, don't worry and forget it, ok?:thmbsp:
Thank you!:tresbon:
Ciao:thmbsp:
 
Hi guys!
I found more pictures of this midrange, though the strange code on the magnet is different.However I'm pretty sure that the speaker are the same!
look here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126793071@N06/16091682125/in/photostream/lightbox/ (the code is:190918)
Here you can see "the frontal face" of this midrange:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126793071@N06/15469359914/in/photostream/lightbox/

Guys, could these picture help you to identify the manufacturer of this mid?:scratch2:
Please I need you!!!
Thank you!
 
If you found who Philips sourced drivers for that era, that should help.
I agree the tweeter looks sort of like the CTS, but quite a large and extended magnet.
The terminal design on the back, and thin plate seem to also lead towards that.
You need a front view of the tweeter-that may also help with the mid.
 
Haven't had a chance to look at mine yet but I'm 99% sure they are different to yours. I'm still gonna go with Audax and will check my Audax drivers at some point in the next couple of days for you to see if they are as similar as I think :-)
 
I have seen some Philips mid-range drivers with a similar (rounded-corner square) back plate.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom