• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with a Nikko NR-819

cisne

Active Member
Honestly, I don't know if this should be posted here, in SS, or the tuner forum - Mods please move if necessary.

Picked up a Nikko NR-819 in very good condition, checked DC offset and plugged it in. Regardless of tuner signal strength, it sounds raspy. - Can't think of a better word to describe it.

CD into aux and it sounds fine :)

Are there some basic things I can try, or should it go back to GW?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice pick-up. Nikko's are a little bit of a sleeper and there are some fans around here who should be able to give better advice than myself.

If I understand the question you are only having the "raspy" problem when in AM-FM mode. It might be something simple like a reception problem. Does the tuner indicate you are locked in on stereo? Have you tried placing it in an area known to get good reception and seeing if there is a difference? I am also assuming you have given it a good cleaning on the inside but if not you should try that as well and see if there is a difference.
 
Thanks for the reply Wolverine.

The tuner does show locked in stereo with very good signal strength. I think it's time I tried my hand with Deoxit :D


Jason
 
Thanks for the reply Wolverine.

The tuner does show locked in stereo with very good signal strength. I think it's time I tried my hand with Deoxit :D


Jason

Just in case you don't know, don't hit the tuner with DeOxit.
 
Just in case you don't know, don't hit the tuner with DeOxit.

I didn't know, thanks for the tip krlill! For the tuner just use compressed air? Or leave as it is?

I'll certainly read the thread, and ask if I'm unsure.



Jason
 
There is an air cap (a capacitor made of metal fins) that has bearing points for the shaft. What I do is spray some deoxit in a small container and use a cotton swab to apply the cleaner to the contacts between the gangs of fins. This clears up some major tuner scratchiness.
 
I'll have to try that on my HK 300A. All the higher stations come in clear, but as soon as I go below 92 megahertz it's all scratchy and noisy. Thanks

cisne: I use compressed air to get dust out of the fins.
 
Last edited:
Thanks krlill, I'll use air for the tuner section. As for what ryuuoh is talking about, I simply don't understand.

Thanks for the continued help :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom