• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with Cartridge and Stylus Info for SL-23

lebearski

New Member
Hi all, I have an SL-23 that picked up 2.5 years ago and I've just serviced it to address speed/pitch issues. I'm looking for advice/info on the Cart and Stylus (Pic Attached). These were installed on the turntable when I purchased it. The cart looks like a Pickering P/AC-1 (Patent No. 3.297.831) and I've found several threads with info on it. As you can see, it has an orange stylus with zero identifying marks. I'm hoping someone can provide information on this combo. I'm wondering if it just makes sense to replace/upgrade these with something like the VM95E or VM95ML. I'm still doing cost/benefit analysis on that potential purchase and which one I'd choose.

Thanks all!

IMG_6323.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Stylus looks to be a modern generic, 3-5g i imagine.

Great cartridge. Hard to find oem styli.
 
I'm wondering if it just makes sense to replace/upgrade these with something like the VM95E or VM95ML.
yes, it makes perfect sense to get a new cartridge
I'm still doing cost/benefit analysis on that potential purchase and which one I'd choose.
no need to overthink this. Any new cartridge in the $100 range will be better than the Pickering with a low quality after-market needle
 
Hi all, I have an SL-23 that picked up 2.5 years ago and I've just serviced it to address speed/pitch issues. I'm looking for advice/info on the Cart and Stylus (Pic Attached). These were installed on the turntable when I purchased it. The cart looks like a Pickering P/AC-1 (Patent No. 3.297.831) and I've found several threads with info on it. As you can see, it has an orange stylus with zero identifying marks. I'm hoping someone can provide information on this combo. I'm wondering if it just makes sense to replace/upgrade these with something like the VM95E or VM95ML. I'm still doing cost/benefit analysis on that potential purchase and which one I'd choose.

Thanks all!

View attachment 3813083
Apparently it’s the same as the famous V-15 series internally. Even that stylus will work. The V-15 is a very good cartridge and works well on the vintage Technics turntables. I would get a replacement stylus and enjoy
 
two problems with that stylus

1) they claim it tracks 3-7 grams which is what the original Pickering spec was, it's not suited for the Technics SL-23 turntable
2) it's a low quality needle so chances are it does not meet the original specified 3-7 grams, more than likely, it will track better closer to 7 grams than it does at 3 grams

a cartridge tracking from 1.5 grams to 3 grams would be appropriate for the SL-23, most current production moving magnet cartridges fall in this range
 
two problems with that stylus

1) they claim it tracks 3-7 grams which is what the original Pickering spec was, it's not suited for the Technics SL-23 turntable
2) it's a low quality needle so chances are it does not meet the original specified 3-7 grams, more than likely, it will track better closer to 7 grams than it does at 3 grams

a cartridge tracking from 1.5 grams to 3 grams would be appropriate for the SL-23, most current production moving magnet cartridges fall in this range
Hey, I’m just giving opinions here. No one is saying it won’t track at 3/4 grams. Yes, There’s newer budget carts around but why not try something unique. Doesn’t sound great you’re out $40 and you can still keep it for something down the road.
If it makes you feel better this looks compatible.
 
Hey, I’m just giving opinions here. No one is saying it won’t track at 3/4 grams.
"no one is saying it won't track at 3/4 grams"......not sure what you mean

Yes, There’s newer budget carts around but why not try something unique. Doesn’t sound great you’re out $40 and you can still keep it for something down the road.
that's certainly an option especially for those of us that like to tinker with turntables. I have a small box full of cheap after-market needles that use for restoring old record changers that have crude tonearms with no anti-skate.

The OP has a pretty nice turntable and with only 2 posts as an AK member, he doesn't seem like he would be into dropping money to experiment, but I could be wrong.

If it makes you feel better this looks compatible.
I never feel good about cheap after-market needles. Like I said, I have a box of them that I would never use them to play any of the records from my collection.
 
"no one is saying it won't track at 3/4 grams"......not sure what you mean


that's certainly an option especially for those of us that like to tinker with turntables. I have a small box full of cheap after-market needles that use for restoring old record changers that have crude tonearms with no anti-skate.

The OP has a pretty nice turntable and with only 2 posts as an AK member, he doesn't seem like he would be into dropping money to experiment, but I could be wrong.


I never feel good about cheap after-market needles. Like I said, I have a box of them that I would never use them to play any of the records from my collection.
They say 3-7. So the set up “may” work at 3/4 grams is all I’m saying. I was just pointing out that it appears to be the bottom of PICKRING offering but further review (Vinyl Engine) Says that it’s not a junk cartridge
Yes I know the AT budget line is great for the money
 
I'm wondering if it just makes sense to replace/upgrade these with something like the VM95E or VM95ML. I'm still doing cost/benefit analysis on that potential purchase and which one I'd choose.

Yes, it does make sense to change it with an VM95C or VM95E.

But if you can source an original Pickering needle (for the Pickering V15 or the Pickering NP/Ax cartridges) or an original Stanton needle (For the Stanton 500, 500A, 500AL cartridge) for the price of a VM95E cartridge, then go for it.

Those needles come in different VTF ranges, but It doesn't matter if it tracks "from 3 to 7 grams", just follow the instructions and use it.
 
They say 3-7. So the set up “may” work at 3/4 grams is all I’m saying.
3 grams and 7 grams are quite a bit more than 3/4 (.75) grams, still not understanding what you are saying

I was just pointing out that it appears to be the bottom of PICKRING offering but further review (Vinyl Engine) Says that it’s not a junk cartridge
yes, the V-15 series were bottom of Pickering's cartridges but I never said they were junk. I said that CHEAP AFTER-MARKET NEEDLES ARE JUNK

If you install a cheap needle in an otherwise good cartridge body, what you end up with is a cheap cartridge assembly (cartridge body + cheap needle)

Yes I know the AT budget line is great for the money
yup
 
Those needles come in different VTF ranges, but It doesn't matter if it tracks "from 3 to 7 grams", just follow the instructions and use it.
It does matter if the cheap after-market needle doesn't adhere to the original specifications
 
It does matter if the cheap after-market needle doesn't adhere to the original specifications

I said "original" needle:

But if you can source an original Pickering needle (for the Pickering V15 or the Pickering NP/Ax cartridges) or an original Stanton needle (For the Stanton 500, 500A, 500AL cartridge) for the price of a VM95E cartridge, then go for it.

Those needles come in different VTF ranges, but It doesn't matter if it tracks "from 3 to 7 grams", just follow the instructions and use it.

I wouldn't recommend any aftermarket needle for those cartridges.
 
3 grams and 7 grams are quite a bit more than 3/4 (.75) grams, still not understanding what you are saying


yes, the V-15 series were bottom of Pickering's cartridges but I never said they were junk. I said that CHEAP AFTER-MARKET NEEDLES ARE JUNK

If you install a cheap needle in an otherwise good cartridge body, what you end up with is a cheap cartridge assembly (cartridge body + cheap needle)


yup
:thumbsup:This thread is is starting to remind me of cable threads lol. I threw in my 2 cents worth and got a bill for a thousand dollars
Enjoy your turntable wherever you are
:beerchug:
 
There are some who simply want the cheapest option to play some records they found in a thrift store. Nothing wrong with that but for those who spend $25 for an LP and want it to last, consider the following:

1) Vintage NOS often are used needles put back in the original box

2) Vintage NOS styli can have suspensions that are compromised, either stiffened or softened so they are no longer useful

3) Vintage NOS styli sealed in the original packaging can have corroded cantilevers

4) USED styli may look fine with a USB scope but are actually worn

5) USED styli often have compromised suspensions

Buying USED or vintage NOS styli is risky for those of us who know what to look for and more so for those who don't
 
I'm not a betting man, but you will not find a working stylus that is supposed to track at 3g and up that will correctly track at less than 1g. That suspension is just too stiff. It will be jumping around and sound like crap. It's not opinion, it's math.

And if the arm is designed for 5g, no high compliance 1g tracking stylus will overcome the bearing friction required to track correctly. Again, it's math here.

It's the equivalent of putting 1/3 the psi in your car tires. It will still roll, but it will drive like crap.

Math, it don't care what you think.
 
Back
Top Bottom