• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Help with CL Speaker ID

sasmith4

Active Member
I've been cruising CL looking for a score or at least something cool. The title lists these as Snells for $100. I'm thinking - "I have some Snells; I'd love some vintage Snells..." I click the ad. These Don't look like any Snells I'm familiar with.
So what Are they? I have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself until some of you chime in here.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ele/2501394124.html
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, I think they are probably worth it for somebody. I'm just not sure I need them. Also, these are about 100 miles away from me, so there is an added cost for gas and the obligatory road trip indulgence at the golden arches.
I'm going to call this afternoon and see if I can find out what they relly are and make a decision from there.
If they are what I think they are; I'll have to go get them...

Has anybody ever seen a pair of early (late 1980's) Merlin Model 1B?
 
Still a mystery. Did call the guy a couple of days ago. Told him I was interested, He told me 'they are pretty heavy... sound really good... from the early '90's best he can recall'. Asked for the model and any other identification. He said he'd check when he got home and call me back in the evening - still no call.
I'm going to wait till Saturday and give him a call if I still haven't heard.
 
They are DCM QEDs, but look to me like the tweeter has been replaced (Vifa maybe?). I don't think they are likely to be as good as Time Windows, which makes the price seem steep (especially with replacement tweeters).
 
I think its just the butyl surround which is difficult to distinguish from the hexagonal basket that the Phillips driver had.
 
Back
Top Bottom