• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with Dual CS 508 humming

bigx5murf

Super Member
I'm at wit's end with this humming issue on my CS 508, with 1/2' adapter. I have a bad hum in the right channel, the hum will come and go if I disconnect the right channel rca and move it around. Doing so will also make the left channel cut in and out and hum at times. The ground cable is connected, it'll hum much worse if I disconnect it.

I've deoxit the 1/2' adapter, and the springs connectors on the ULM headshell. Crimped the cartridge cables to make sure connection is tight.

Am I looking at RCA replacement?
 
Register to hide this ad
The RCA cables on those tables were pretty crappy. The first thing I did on my 508 was replace the interconnects. Not a simple job (you'll need to remove the base), but not the hardest of jobs either.

I've owned others in that series (528, 1268) and the originals have been replaced on all. Good luck!

Cheers,
Larry B.
 
The RCA cables on those tables were pretty crappy. The first thing I did on my 508 was replace the interconnects. Not a simple job (you'll need to remove the base), but not the hardest of jobs either.

I've owned others in that series (528, 1268) and the originals have been replaced on all. Good luck!

Cheers,
Larry B.

I've removed the base to get a look at what I'm in for. Looks like the RCAs are crimped to some brass leafs. They're on there tight, and I can't figure out to way to disconnect them without damage. Would splicing new cables from within the chassis be enough, or do I need to replace from the crimps?
 
I don't recommend ever putting splices within a phono cable, due to the low level signals involved. Unfortunately, for best results I think you're going to have to replace from that terminal board. No way through it but to do it, I'm afraid. Good luck!

Cheers,
Larry B.
 
Back
Top Bottom