• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help With Garrard GT-55 TT

GregadetH

I'm A Rough Boy
Hi all,

I've got an old Garrard with no cartridge carrier, cartridge or stylus. I've been looking for literally years for these parts with no success. I'm either really bad at searching or they're just not available. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the tonearm to accept a cartridge without the carrier? I've been using my Sansui and Kenwood TT's for listening to and recording my vinyl, so it's not an emergency "I need it to work!" deal. I inherited it from my Mother a few years back and it would just be nice to spin some LP's on it again. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks!


-Greg
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi all,

I've got an old Garrard with no cartridge carrier, cartridge or stylus. I've been looking for literally years for these parts with no success. I'm either really bad at searching or they're just not available. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the tonearm to accept a cartridge without the carrier? I've been using my Sansui and Kenwood TT's for listening to and recording my vinyl, so it's not an emergency "I need it to work!" deal. I inherited it from my Mother a few years back and it would just be nice to spin some LP's on it again. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks!


-Greg


I've seen maybe 4 GT55's on ebay over the past month or so - I bought 2 of these tables myself, one as a parts donor although both work okay, so why not just buy another table - they don't seem to go for much. I think I paid less than $50 for each including shipping, you'd likely pay $20 - $30 for just the carrier if you could find it. You may be right about the C-6 carrier being unobtainium - I've never seen one for sale anywhere except with a table & I don't think the tables are terribly common. The belts are easy to find though.


The GT55 was supposed to be an improvement on the zero 100 series, but I've never heard a zero to compare it with...anyway, good luck!

Steve
 
I have a GT 55 also...the carriers are almost impossible to find. I'm REAL careful with mine. I do believe that they are an improvement over the zero, but that is damning with faint praise.
 
I'd troll ebay for a complete parts donor deck with the cartridge carrier. It'd be cheaper than buying one NOS which would likely cost more than a parts machine complete.
 
I've seen maybe 4 GT55's on ebay over the past month or so - I bought 2 of these tables myself, one as a parts donor although both work okay, so why not just buy another table - they don't seem to go for much. I think I paid less than $50 for each including shipping, you'd likely pay $20 - $30 for just the carrier if you could find it. You may be right about the C-6 carrier being unobtainium - I've never seen one for sale anywhere except with a table & I don't think the tables are terribly common. The belts are easy to find though.
Steve


I no longer buy working TT's of ebay. I've had 2 arrive completely trashed. Not gonna go down that road again. Parts? Sure. Entire TT? Nope.

And you're right, you can literally trip over a belt for a GT-55 whenever you're on the internet, they're so common.




I have a GT 55 also...the carriers are almost impossible to find. I'm REAL careful with mine. I do believe that they are an improvement over the zero, but that is damning with faint praise.

I wouldn't know. The last time I heard any music from this thing was when I was nine. I'm 31 now. :music:

I'd troll ebay for a complete parts donor deck with the cartridge carrier. It'd be cheaper than buying one NOS which would likely cost more than a parts machine complete.

That's the hard part, finding a donor deck with an actual carrier. I curse my father for losing it.


Thanks for the replies, but the Garrard is the least of my worries now. The RCA plugs on my Sansui started shorting out today. Too many years being plugged and unplugged I guess. Now I've got to read up on repairing them. And I just got a new stylus for it in the mail today, too. This day blows. lol :thumbsdn:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom