• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with KEF 103.2 Crossover Rebuild

zaskarx

Active Member
I have a treasured pair of KEF 103.2 speakers that are starting to sound a little tired lately, I'd like to replace the crossover capacitors to help restore the sound but I am finding that exact replacements are hard to come by.

I love the sound of the speakers and am leery of changing the character by replacing electrolytic caps with film caps, changing values, etc. It seems like a full replacement set of Alcap capacitors used to be available from Falcon Acoustics but these are no longer available.

The next best option that I can find are bipolar Mundorf Ecaps, which are available in close values, should fit psychically, and are relatively cheap. Does anyone have experience with these capacitors?

When an exact value isn't available, is it better to replace with the next highest or lowest value? For instance, should a 4.2uf capacitor be replaced with a 3.9uf or 4.7uf cap?

Last, the wiring from the crossover to the drivers has been somewhat hacked up in the past with a few splices held together with electrical tape. I'd like to replace the wiring, any advice for specific gauge and type or just use standard hookup wire?
 
Register to hide this ad
Personally I'd do 3.9uF and make up the difference with a 0.33uF film cap.

Honestly for bipolar electrolytics I've always just used the generic Parts Express ones. I'm sure there are better caps out there, but they're inexpensive and they're still going to be much better than the aged caps that are in there.

For wire I'd stick with what was in there originally (as best as you can tell). Maybe go up a size, but I don't think it's necessary to go crazy. If you want to get a little fancy I would suggest mil-spec hookup wire which is PTFE insulated silver-plated copper. You can pick it up pretty cheap surplus, but even new it's not crazy expensive.
 
For my 103.2's I just used the Dayton electros. The Mundorfs would be good too. Be sure to fix the corrosion, I physically would remove and bypass the relay.

Just do normal wire, 20 AWG or whatever was in there.
 
Did you email Falcon to see if they will be back in stock, at some point? I had to wait a while for the 104/2 kits to be available.
 
Thank you all for the advice, I took rickb's suggestion and e-mailed Falcon. Jerry from Falcon informed me that the 103.2 kits are expected to be back in stock in 6 weeks. I'm itching to get these speakers put back together but I think I'll wait rather than attempting to cobble together a set of caps myself.
 
I have a pair of pristine 103.2 Kefs. Well, they used to be pristine until I over drove them. On one speaker the protection light came on and the woofer stopped working. The other one works fine. I felt terrible. Fast forward 9 months to now. I finally decided to determine if it's the driver or the protection circuit. NOW with music playing, the same woofer still doesn't work but the protection circuit light is off. I planned to swap the woofers or just apply a bit of signal to the silent one. How the heck do the woofers come out? Removing the 3 bolts doesn't do it. I've tried a few things and they just don't want to come out. HELP!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom