• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with Kenwood KA-691 needed

antman07442

Active Member
I hope someone out there might be able to offer a starting point - I purchased a number of Kenwood components this weekend at a yard sale - all in $20 (they did not have any power to check the system - so for the $20 bucks I took the gamble) ... I purchased the components (Amp, tuner, cd, eq, tape deck and speakers) for my 17 year old hoping to give him a rocking system - the seller indicated that the tuner did not work - it turns out they meant the integrated amp ...

its a Kenwood KA-691 - and when I plug it in it does not do anything - the power switch doesn't do anything and nothing lights up at all?

any ideas where to start?

Thank you in advance for any help!
 
Register to hide this ad
first off would be locate the fuses and if any are blown report back as to which ones ..fuses blow for a reason and if replaced and powered up again can cause further damage . it is best to check fuses with a multimeter as sometimes they look ok and in fact are blown .
 
First I would try and get the Owners/User manual and if possible the Service Manual as well for it. These would be good to have to troubleshoot any and all problems that you may encounter with it. Check and examine the power cord closely. Make sure that it is in good condition, no cracks, cuts, etc. especially at the connecting part that plugs into the wall.
Secondly I would start by checking each and every "fuse" that it may have. This means removing and checking to make sure that they are the correct Voltage and Amperage values. If the values are not labeled beside the placement of each fuse then you would need to refer to the Owners/User/Service manuals. This is were the manuals come in handy. If the fuse values are incorrect or burnt out replace each of them with, again, the correct Voltage and Amperage value. If or when doing this "never" :nono: replace a fuse with a "lower" voltage value and "never" :nono: with a "higher" current value. Example: Say if the fuse has a voltage rating of 125Volts with a amperage rating of 1.5Amps. DO NOT replace the fuse with a voltage rating of say 100Volts and/or a current rating of 3Amps, your only asking for trouble and hazards! Replace it with exactly the same voltage and amperage values. If you cannot find the exact fuse values then you can replace the fuse with say a voltage rating of 250Volts (higher value) with an amperage rating of 1Amp (lower value). But do this as only a temporary solution until you can find the exact fuse ratings as called for to use by the manufacturer.
If you do replace the fuse(s) and you still are having problems. Then its time to either look at the Service manual for troubleshooting or send it to an audio service center for repairs, restoration, etc.
Hope this helps some but I'm sure someone else will chime in here with better suggestions, ideas, helpful hints, etc. so just keep checking.
Good Luck and hope you get it going!
Don't forget to post your findings and updates on the unit.:D
 
OK, fast forward a few years to 2020. I have an old Kenwood KA-691. A little beat up, but still sounds great. The balance knob is missing. I have had the toughest time trying to locate a spare balance knob. The service manual lists K29-3911-04. I have checked a few online sources and nobody has this knob for sale. I am sure that some of you out there have some great sources for Kenwood spare parts. This is a black little knob that fits onto a square shaft. Thanks for your help.
 
Back
Top Bottom