• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with Linn tri-wire hookup

bmurry

Member
I recently got a set of Linn Kaber speakers which are tri-ampable. I also have a Linn Kairn preamp, Linn Klout amp and Linn k600 tr-wires cables. I've read the klout manual regarding tri-wire hookup (which says to go from Klout + to speaker - when using a Kairn, although I've tried both ways of connecting) but I'm not getting any low end. They had bass when I auditioned them, but they were triamped, where I'd like to use just the Klout by itself. Hopefully y'all can help me figure out where my issue is. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20220130_131056.jpg
    20220130_131056.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220130_131005.jpg
    20220130_131005.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220130_131018.jpg
    20220130_131018.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220130_131027.jpg
    20220130_131027.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220130_131039.jpg
    20220130_131039.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 26
Register to hide this ad
This is just a guess, your Kaber speakers are designed as an active set-they could be bought active or passive, active versions which have no internal crossovers in which to separate the treble, mid and bass ends of the speakers drivers. Unless somehow the Klout includes the active crossover inside, which it has been too long for me to recall exactly how they work(I used to have Linn system years ago). Normally one would use the active crossover between preamp and three stereo amplifiers, this would provide the proper equalisation for the drivers and power to each individual speaker driver within the Kaber.

You may need to try and track down a set of Kaber passive internal crossover boards and fit them in to your Kabers to make them work with a single Klout amplifier. You could then tri-wire them with the cable set that you currently have.
 
Last edited:
The Linn Kaber Aktiv user manual is available online. It shows a way different setup than what you have. Based on that and a quick review of the non-Aktiv Kaber manual, I agree with TimF.

Either you need to get all the stuff to do full active triamp, else find the Linn Kaber internal crossover stuff to convert them back to the non-Acktiv version. Using the Klout as you are is not correct and could damage the speakers by sending full range signals to the drivers (tweeter in particular).
 
Last edited:
The Linn Kaber Aktiv user manual is available online. It shows a way different setup than what you have. Based on that and a quick review of the non-Aktiv Kaber manual, I agree with TimF.

Either you need to get all the stuff to do full active triamp, else find the Linn Kaber internal crossover stuff to convert them back to the non-Acktiv version. Using the Klout as you are is not correct and could damage the speakers by sending full range signals to the drivers (tweeter in particular).
Thanks for the input, and yes, you are both correct. The system came with two lk100 amps as well, I was just hoping I could condense the system down to a single amp. Luckily, the klout has the tweeter cards installed so no damage done there. One of the lk100s doesn't power on so it's at the doctor right now. Can't wait to get it back and fire up the Kabers PROPERLY tri-amped!
 
As if you don't have enough wires now, tri-amping, although necessary in your case, takes interconnects and power cord management to a whole 'nother level. Ask me how I know.
 
As if you don't have enough wires now, tri-amping, although necessary in your case, takes interconnects and power cord management to a whole 'nother level. Ask me how I know.
I'm asking! A Linn greenhorn here. I just inherited a pair of AV5140s and 3 LK100s but no Linn Kairn with the 3 separate outs. I can't find anything in the manuals that covers how to tri-amp the speakers without a Kairn, which I'm assuming might function as a crossover system. Or do the speakers themselves have some sort of self-regulating crossovers when tri-amping? Obviously, acquiring a Kairn would be the right move, but there's currently no budget for that. Is there a tri-amp work-around using a single stereo pre out without a Kairn? All ears, and thanks ahead of time.
 
@fedora

I think this situation may be different than the tread posted to. It's usually better to start a new tread of your own rather than piggyback on possibly non-related info.

That said, the manual I just looked at appears to imply the speakers have internal crossovers since it mentions tri-wiring and tri-amping without any real precautions one way or another.

So, I don't believe a Kairn or any other sort of crossover/processor is necessary to use the speakers in tri amp/triwire mode.

If you have only a single set of pre outs you can just daisy chain the three amps using their line in and line out jacks. Then wire one amp to each of the triwire/triamp inputs after first removing any linking straps.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom