• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with McIntosh MC-60 restoration - nube

batman

My name is Levi
Hi All,

I would like to restore my MC-60. I contacted McIntosh Labs and Sandy recommended Audioclassics. Audioclassics and my other local shops are asking $400-$800 each for the restoration. Gulp, $400-$800 are too much for my budget considering It needs new tubes.

Do you think it is be better if I just restore it myself?
I have the manual and schematic from
Berner's websitel Can someone point me into the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Levi
 
Register to hide this ad
First Welcome to AK Batman!

Personally, I would rather wait & save to have the pros restore such a classic.
 
Welcome batman! :)

I would suggest you read Terry's Hints and Kinks thread to see if you're up to the resto work. Do a search as well for more ideas. MC30's are very close to the same when you run across those references in here. Here is a MC240
restoration very nicely done and kindly documented for us. Click Some nice photos in there too. :)


Carl
 
An alternative would be to send it to Terry. I wouldn't think of new tubes as part of a restoration, however, but part of the initial investment in a superb piece of audio gear.

Terry is the "resident" McIntosh expert.

Murray
 
Can do a lot to a MC30 for a reasonable price, problem is the chassis it's self, no reproduction ones to be had, is a hassle to rechrome and letter so give it a good coat of polish/wax, some paint for the transformers and replace all the caps and most of the resistors - and you will be amazed.
 
Back
Top Bottom