• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with Mcintosh MC2000

marcutan

New Member
Dear all,

I purchased a Mcintosh MC2000 tube amplifier that I left in storage for 2 years while working overseas.

Recently, I tested the amplifier and when switching off the unit, I
experienced a mild/static shock. When I switch on the MC2000 tube amplifier again, the amplifier did not turn on. There is no meter lights and none of the tubes lit up. There was no burning smell or sound from speakers when the amplifier failed.

I checked with McIntosh service and they replied that "A bad tube could cause a failure that caused unit to go into protect and refuse to turn on. It should go for service.".

What's the right way to detect a bad tube? There are quite a few tubes in the MC2000.

Also, the MC2000 came with a 2 prong power plug; should I replaced it with a 3 prong earthed plug?

Lastly, if anyone understands the Mcintosh protection circuit or have a copy of the service manual, please enlighten me on the subject or send the service manual to me. I dread to bring the heavy amplifier to service.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Marcus
 
Register to hide this ad
PM me with your email and I'll send you a PDF service manual.

My MC2000 came with a three prong plug.
 
Yup, all 3 of mine are 3 prong IEC power chord, though I had them replaced with Cardas Golden Reference ... same type, 3 prong, IEC type!
 
I brought the MC2000 in Germany, and it came with a power plug with a female earth and 2 earth clips at the side. I ended up using the Amplifier mostly in Singapore, which have the British power sockets...So the original power plug ended up being an unearthed 2 pin plug.

I am now working in America and will return back to Singapore in 2 month's time. I will switch to a 3 pin IEC plug then.

I really hope to fix the amplifier when I am back in Singapore. All the external and internal fuses of the amplifier are ok, so hopefully, it is a case of bad tubes.

I have brought a pair of Svetlana KT88 but I can't tell which output tube is not working.

Thanks for all the help and replies. I appreciate it.
 
I brought the MC2000 in Germany, and it came with a power plug with a female earth and 2 earth clips at the side. I ended up using the Amplifier mostly in Singapore, which have the British power sockets...So the original power plug ended up being an unearthed 2 pin plug.

I am now working in America and will return back to Singapore in 2 month's time. I will switch to a 3 pin IEC plug then.

I really hope to fix the amplifier when I am back in Singapore. All the external and internal fuses of the amplifier are ok, so hopefully, it is a case of bad tubes.

I have brought a pair of Svetlana KT88 but I can't tell which output tube is not working.

Thanks for all the help and replies. I appreciate it.

If you can't fix it go and steal one of Jerry's. If you steal two I'll meet you at at a Hawker Centre to lighten your load. :zoom::D
 
Unlike the U.S., theft in Singapore holds harsh punishments. May not be worth it. :) Remember that kid from the States that graffiti there? Spanked him good!
I wish we had laws like them.
 
Unlike the U.S., theft in Singapore holds harsh punishments. May not be worth it. :) Remember that kid from the States that graffiti there? Spanked him good!
I wish we had laws like them.

Nah, ... there are no laws to prevent McIntosh theft !!! :D :D :D

U can carry, its yours !!! :naughty:

Cheers! :banana:

BTW, just joking ... dont ever steal, not worth it.
 
Thanks! dj_AmTrax. Again, I appreciate it.

The MC2000 had been in storage for another year since it went into "Protection" :) I will post updates of fixing the problem when I am back in Singapore.

I hate to see Arcing in Tubes or Tubes going into flames.....The fireworks are only spectacular in retrospect :)

It's great that everyone is enjoying their McIntoshs now. I hope mine will be alive soon!
 
Back
Top Bottom