• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Homey4uk

Active Member
Hello friends and thanks in advance for your help. I purchased a used MCS 3245 and was told it was working inasmuch as they "could test it." Code for it doesn't work. Very weak, distorted sound out of the right channel (I already cleaned it with contact cleaner and compressed air and used Deoxit on the knobs and pots), no sound at all and no movement on the meter for the left channel (to be brutally honest it might be right no sound and left bad.....TBI and awful short term memory, sorry). I have two of these 3245s and am trying to decide if I should take the two and make one "nice" one or get this running. The other plays and sounds great but has lots of cosmetic issues (the plexiglass is no longer transparent and the output selector buttons/switch board has broken free so it works but it moves and is a pain) and some issues that might be over my head. But I am wondering if the issue with this unit could be as simple as a bad speaker protection switch. They are (were, I simply unscrewed them to get a closer look) on the back of the unit and one has a yellow "button" sticking out, like a "reset" switch, but the other no yellow button is showing.

I'm so "thick" I'm not even sure if the button sticking out is good or bad, but it is sticking out on the other unit which plays, so I assume out is preferable. But I see a few of these on the same bay of e and they are less than $15 each (not from MCS but 2.5 amps and look identical). Do I just buy a couple and replace them both or replace one? Do I bypass these altogether? I'm not 18 anymore and don't turn it up to 11 anymore. Thanks so much my audio addicted compadres.mcs3245 2.jpg What do y'all suggest?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello friends and thanks in advance for your help. I purchased a used MCS 3245 and was told it was working inasmuch as they "could test it." Code for it doesn't work. Very weak, distorted sound out of the right channel (I already cleaned it with contact cleaner and compressed air and used Deoxit on the knobs and pots), no sound at all and no movement on the meter for the left channel (to be brutally honest it might be right no sound and left bad.....TBI and awful short term memory, sorry). I have two of these 3245s and am trying to decide if I should take the two and make one "nice" one or get this running. The other plays and sounds great but has lots of cosmetic issues (the plexiglass is no longer transparent and the output selector buttons/switch board has broken free so it works but it moves and is a pain) and some issues that might be over my head. But I am wondering if the issue with this unit could be as simple as a bad speaker protection switch. They are (were, I simply unscrewed them to get a closer look) on the back of the unit and one has a yellow "button" sticking out, like a "reset" switch, but the other no yellow button is showing.

I'm so "thick" I'm not even sure if the button sticking out is good or bad, but it is sticking out on the other unit which plays, so I assume out is preferable. But I see a few of these on the same bay of e and they are less than $15 each (not from MCS but 2.5 amps and look identical). Do I just buy a couple and replace them both or replace one? Do I bypass these altogether? I'm not 18 anymore and don't turn it up to 11 anymore. Thanks so much my audio addicted compadres.View attachment 1953266 What do y'all suggest?

PUSH. 14 views, not a single reply. Thanks.
 
If.......It is a circuit breaker then its broken..
index.php
 
Without a schematic or service manual.. Its hard to say..
 
One for right channel, one for left. One has yellow button sticking out, one doesn't. Can it hurt anything to replace it? Thanks
 
I'm guessing speaker protection CBs like the H/K A-402 I'm just finishing up. 2.5A also, momentary push to reset (not push and hold). There's more likely bad outputs from a short if that breaker melted down.
 
Back
Top Bottom