• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

help with strange alpha607

endymion

New Member
[sorry, moved to Dollar and Sense]

Hello,

May I have some advice on this amp I found locally please?
It's an alpha607extra, the seller wants 300 EUR.

I think it's a japanese device isn't it? However the seller says it's 220V (he "thinks" it's been modified) and works perfectly well.
Also, the feet are not original ones, they look like some 9090 feet I saw on a famous auction site.
But the most intriguing piece is the backplate: half the printings or gone (please see attached pics).

What do you think? Does it seem risky or should I consider buying (would be my first sansui)?
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hum.

It's style is similar to my export alpha. I'm no authority, but I don't think that is a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) unit.

It's a fine sounding amp, if you can use it at 220v. 300 seems like a fair price.

Samsui is (was) a Japanese company. Not all Sansui equipment was made in Japan.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. The reason I think it's japanese is because the face is the same as aux-711's and while auX amps were available in west part of the world, those were called alpha in japan. At least that's what I could read here and there.
 
That seems like a bargain price. Better snag it.

As far as it being your first Sansui, I promise you won't be disappointed. They sound amazing. My AU-X701 is an alpha-X. It even has this scripted on the face plate. The 607 is more highly regarded than the export alphas like mine. The chassis lay out in the 607 is magnificent. I love the symmetry. People rave about the copper element of the chassis. I'm not sure what that's all about.

I hope you buy it.
 
Last edited:
I guess this is a cross-over topic that would fit in either dollars and sense as well as the Sansui forum.

The unit you're looking at would have operated at 100 volts in Japan. Apparently somebody changed power transformers to make it operate at 220 volts. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

If they used a decent quality transformer, this wouldn't be an issue. Is it common? I don't know how frequently JDM units are found in Europe, but the conversion would have to be done to all of them.

The non-original feet and the back plate alterations are curious. If you're looking at this as a financial investment, you might want to pass. If you want a good amp for listening pleasure, this would fit the bill, IMHO.

You'd want to hear it operate before you bought it.
 
I have the same problem but I have 3 sansuis au-x711 and 2 of them are from Norway and run 220 and one runs 110 how do I convert the 2 to 110
 
I have the same problem but I have 3 sansuis au-x711 and 2 of them are from Norway and run 220 and one runs 110 how do I convert the 2 to 110

The best way would be to use a step down transformer.

Converting a 110 volt unit to run on 220 volt means either swapping the transformer or rewinding the existing one.

I suggest you do neither and just get a good step down with at least 5 times of wattage of your unit. For example if your unit is rated at 200 watts go for a 1 kW (1000 watt) step down transformer unit.

Sansui was a transformer company initially & quite good at that too. Their transformers are famous for workmanship & quality.

So you must leave the unit intact. As a matter of fact, meddling with the unit or it's power supply is strongly not adviced. It may un-stabilize the unit and lower the performance as well.
 
hi, do you advise having to go through two transformers to get to the source? I have the same problem in my country 220v is used and my au a707i is Japanese at 100v, can you modify the original transformer only the primary coil and leave it at 220v without having any problem? There are specialized technicians in this work with very good results. It is a risk that by mistake you connect to 220v directly and booooom !!!
 
can you modify the original transformer only the primary coil and leave it at 220v without having any problem?
No, this is not possible, I presume you mean rewinding the primary winding for 220V - the answer is no.
It is a risk that by mistake you connect to 220v directly and booooom !!!
The JDM models are 100V only, there is no internal voltage selector in these models. So, yes it is possible to connect such models to 220V which could very severely damage the transformer and many other internal parts.
 
[QUOTE = "Hyperion, post: 13910523, member: 25078"] No, esto no es posible, supongo que te refieres a rebobinar el devanado primario para 220V - la respuesta es no.
Los modelos JDM son solo de 100V , no hay selector de voltaje interno en estos modelos. Entonces, sí, es posible conectar tales modelos a 220V, lo que podría dañar gravemente el transformador y muchas otras partes internas. [/ QUOTE]

Hello, thank you very much for the reply. I am waiting for the original modified 220v transformer to arrive once installed I will see the operation, I hope I have no problems. I tell them what happened
 
Hello friends, in my Japanese sansui au @ 707i, I modified the primary coil of the original transformer from 100 to 220V it works with a minimum noise in the transformer, for me it is fine, since it is the same noise as having a second transformer. equipment operation is normal. Regards.
 
Hello friends, in my Japanese sansui au @ 707i, I modified the primary coil of the original transformer from 100 to 220V it works with a minimum noise in the transformer, for me it is fine, since it is the same noise as having a second transformer. equipment operation is normal. Regards.

Can you please provide more information on how this is done?

When you say 'minimum noise' do you mean no noise at all? Or some additional hum? There really should be no hum - just as adding an external step-down transformer should result in no hum if it is a good quality product.
 
I would love to be able to give you more details, but the work was done by a company to the electronics, so the technician commented, it is not a great job, only the primary coil or input is modified, it is direct to 220 Vac, the secondary coil or output remains original at 100V. quality work was done. the noise is typical of the transformer is only heard by placing the ear on the equipment, as for the operation of the equipment is impeccable.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200622_211259.jpg
    IMG_20200622_211259.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom