• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Helping out a friend with his audio gear

And here are the Tannoys with the Subwoofer underneath. and then a shot of the sub with the grills off.

IMG_1407.jpgIMG_1411.jpg

He also has the Technics that we used to first find out if the Fostex Speakers worked, and he also has this Dynaco PA amp.

IMG_1409.jpgIMG_1408.jpg

I am hoping some of the folks on this thread can tell me more about the gear, especially the columns and the cartridges. Those are very intriguing!
 
The London Decca is the liveliest cartridge I have heard. Yours looks like either a Gold (elliptical stylus), or a Super Gold (line contact stylus) like mine. It is a MI (Moving Iron) cartridge, and takes the same level of phono amplification as a MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge - no MC input or SUT required.

It has an unusual un-cantilevered "direct scanning" stylus assembly. The basic design appeared in the mid-sixties iirc. They have a reputation for being very fussy, but aren't in my experience. They also have a reputation for excellent sound quality when set up effectively, which I can vouch for, myself.
 
The London Decca is the liveliest cartridge I have heard. Yours looks like either a Gold (elliptical stylus), or a Super Gold (line contact stylus) like mine. It is a MI (Moving Iron) cartridge, and takes the same level of phono amplification as a MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge - no MC input or SUT required.

It has an unusual un-cantilevered "direct scanning" stylus assembly. The basic design appeared in the mid-sixties iirc. They have a reputation for being very fussy, but aren't in my experience. They also have a reputation for excellent sound quality when set up effectively, which I can vouch for, myself.

He did have 4 or 5 of these. I didn't realize there might be multiple versions, so I just took a picture of that one. Very interesting. Thank you for the detailed description! It is very helpful reading your description. I saw a few Philips sleds in the box with the mount.
 
That's not a Dynaco PA amp. It's a Dynaco SCA-80 integrated stereo amp. I think it's 30 wpc into 8 ohms.
My mistake! Thanks. I had looked at it a while ago, and for some reason I thought it was a PA amp, but that might have been another unit he had.
 
Back
Top Bottom