• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchell dead!

superdog

AK Member
Just found out they found Mitch Mitchell dead in Portland Ore.No cause of death yet.A great drummer who fit Hendrix style perfect.Bummer because he is one of the last players to play with Hendrix.No more first hand accounts from the band as to the glory days of Hendrix and a integral part of rock history.RIP Mitch.
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks very much for sharing that with us.Mitch was a great drummer.I listened to him often to try and pick up stuff.
I read he was on the last show of an 18 date tour with Experience Hendrix,a concert tribute series to Jimmy Hendrix.Jimmie's sister Janie Hendrix said he was a wonderful man,Brilliant Musician and a true friend.From what I just read he was 62 and died of natural causes.
By the sounds of it he was still really enjoying playing and the interchanges with the audiences.Makes me happy to hear he was doing what he loved right till the very end.Many Musicians of our era passed that love of their Music on to us which we are still enjoying whenever we can find the time.Maybe Jimmy's sister will release a little more History?
Now he can finally go join Jimmy & Noel Redding for one heck of a Great Jam! Peace, Kenny
 
That is sad news. I really wanted to go to that Experience tour too. I didn't make it and now this news. I agree, at least he went out doing what he loves to do. We should be so lucky.
 
Mitch20Mitchell.jpg


RIP Sir...
 
I know we all have to go sometime,but I'll miss Mitch.
Some people I know who really dig Hendrix,just don't get Mitch's drumming. :sigh:
It's a style which can't be pidgeon-holed.Hendrix absolutely loved it.
Sure he teamed-up with Buddy Miles for a while and the collaboration was a fruitful one(Band of Gypsies is mind-blowing),but Mitch was the perfect foil for Jimi's writing and guitar work.
GOD Bless you Mitch. :yes:
Jimi's jamming with him,right now. :D:thmbsp:
 
Great drummer and a very good musician. Just watched the Monterey pop festival on DVD again and thats always amazing and some great interviews. Heaven done called another one home! He and JIMI are together again!
R.I.P.
 
Loved to watch him drum !
I love to watch Mitch drum on the old black and white Hendrix videos (courtesy of bit torrent).
He looks so relaxed and just.......Groovin!
He seemed to do anything that came to mind with those drum sticks while maintaining perfect time.
Not many musicians, let alone drummers can pull that off.
RIP
:smoke:
 
One example of the type of drumming Mitch excelled at was on "If six was nine".You can really hear the jazz influence that defined his style.When the Experience trio disbanded Hendrix was pressured by black influences to front an all black band.Thus the Band of Gypsys.While Buddy Miles did an admirable job it was Mitch who Hendrix went back to because he knew Mitch's drumming was the perfect match to his style of play. IMHO none better than Mitch and Moon.Clydeselsor thanks for that photo,one I have never seen.
 
I was at the Portland show in Friday. Mitch only played on one song and he really didn't look good. Some of the people with the tour said that they thought he had the flu or something.
It's so sad when one of the real masters of Rock's golden age moves on. I doubt seriously if many younger music fans have any idea what an influence he (and others of that era) have had on contempary artists.
BTW that show was absolutely amazing! Kenny Wayne Shephard just rocked the joint, stole the show IMHO. There were so many incredible musicians on stage that night that I'll never forget it. One of the best shows I've ever been to.
I think my ears are still ringing tho!
 
Mitchell and Moon, as was mentioned, seemed to defy what the eyes were seeing and what the ears were hearing.

RIP.
 
R.I.P. Mitch.... Very sad news...

I agree on Mitch and Moon. Where Ringo and Charlie were more of beat drummers these guys really kicked it up several notches....
 
Oh dear that is sad. Not old at all - and drummers because of the excercise often remain healthier than other musicians.

I recall one famous night at London's Marquee where The Nice were residents at this time around 1967. Mitch Mitchell was invited up on stage and took over the kit. He immediately demonstrated a quantum leap in skill over the usual line-up. Keith Emerson who was then pretty wild, played out of his skin and was the wildest I had ever seen him.

So Mitch wasn't just great - he had the ability to bring out the greatness in others. I saw Hendrix about twenty times - and it wasn't all good, because he was such a moody person. He might become disgusted with his playing, smash up the place and walk off after a few minutes. But generally Mitch Mitchell would think up something new that interested Jimi, and that would get the band going again after a hissyfit from the great guitarist.
 
Whoa. Damn, didn't even see this -anywhere- in the news. Thanks for the heads up.
He is still one of my main influences in drumming.
 
Back
Top Bottom