• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Here we go. G-8700DB vs AU-222. Got a switch box….

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
Subscriber
Well, two switch boxes. One for speakers and one for source.

Both recently restored.

The little AU-222 held its own. The bass and midrange are more forward than the big G, and it has a fuller sounding presentation. The G is cleaner with better separation between instruments. The AU-222 makes the G-8700DB sound a bit thin, and the G-8700DB makes the AU-222 sound a bit bloated, but not in a bad way.

Controls were flat and speakers were RSL Elans.

First CD was Steely Dan. Then came Metallica and Eric Clapton.

I kept them at reasonable levels, because the AU-222 wouldn’t have a chance of keeping up with the
G-8700DB.

The only reason I compared these two is because the G is on the bench waiting to be picked up by the owner, so figured what the heck. And, I just got the switch boxes the other day and wanted to play around with them.

Bottom line is they both sound good, but I do prefer the clean sound of the G. If I turn up the bass and midrange a couple notches, the G starts to sound full like the AU-222, but still tighter and cleaner.

That said, without a switch box, and having to swap cables around, I may have found the AU-222 more pleasing to listen to. This happened when I compared it to a couple amps without using a switch box.

IMG_4289.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Based on this test, I would choose the AU-222.
The AU-222 also has the advantage of an anodized black front panel; it is compact, simple, and—I believe—more reliable.
I forgot to add that the little guy is rated for 4–16 ohm speakers.
 
Last edited:
My test results are very similar to this. Since 98% of my listening is at lower volume, the 222 always wins me over.
A recent addition to my collection is a AU505. Very similar to the 222, low end punchy with a cleaner top end and will play slightly louder.
 
Just compared the 222 with a Marantz 2230. The 2230 was just restored as well.

Interestingly, the AU-222 and the 2230 sound pretty similar, though the AU-222 definitely has clear more defined highs. The AU-222 is definitely the winner here.

If I did not have the switch boxes, and had to swap cables around, I would probably think they sound pretty much the same.



IMG_4291.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom