• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Heresy2 and Mach1

I just picked up a pair of Heresy2 and running them with several amps I'm not to crazy about the sound I'm hearing ,very foward with lack of base. I have a chance to pick Mach1 (4029) model that were just refoamed for $40 can anyone tell me if these Mach's have the same character as the Heresy's since they have horns also I also searched all thread's on the Mach1 it seems like a favorite here at AK
 
Register to hide this ad
You will notice substantial more bass from the Mach's! The Heresy's have better quality horns and higher resale value, but then again it is a Klipsch right?
DC
 
I guess I cant go wrong for $40 ,I picked a pair of later market KLH avr500 series (cheap no frills best buy type speaker) and you know it is one of my favoites so go figure
 
The Heresy is VERY room placement dependent if you want to get good bass out of them. Fussy is another word.

I'm with kfa888's suggestion: get the Machs, and MAYBE sell them all for something you like. However, you might like the Mach Is (many really do).

You might also consider getting a sub-woofer for the Heresys.
 
The Mach's I just want at my welding shop for high volume Blues and Rock (party speaker type) was also looking into Cerwin Vega any suggestions as far as sub's I seem to have no luck all I hear is muddy or boomy but then I guess im not setting the sub up right for that I have a DCM powered sub down fire I sort of gave up on that , Mabey if I pair the Heresy's up with the Mach1's that might do the trick ,just a thought
 
Mach Ones are a suitable substitute for Cerwin Vega. Neither will disappoint as a party speaker.

Heresys are old-school "quality" horn speakers with an undersized woofer. Even though the Heresys are notably bass-shy, such speakers don't pump out roof-bouncing bass like is expected today. They will go plenty loud, however I suspect you are expecting the wrong thing from them.
 
I'm going to fiddle matching them up with another speaker and run all 4 with a Luxman R1070 The upper end of the Hersey's are great , just need some base to pull it all together
 
I just picked up a pair of Heresy2 and running them with several amps I'm not to crazy about the sound I'm hearing ,very foward with lack of base. I have a chance to pick Mach1 (4029) model that were just refoamed for $40 can anyone tell me if these Mach's have the same character as the Heresy's since they have horns also I also searched all thread's on the Mach1 it seems like a favorite here at AK

Personally I would grab the Mach 1s.

The Heresys I heard back in the 80s also had weak bass, something I attribute to using a 12" woofer with a rather stiff suspension in a small sealed enclosure. I was never sure why Klipsch designed the speaker this way - since it was supposed to just be a "center fill" speaker (back in the 50s and 60s a lot of preamps had such an output) for a pair of Klipschorns, maybe they felt it didn't need extended bass capabilities?

A sub can definitely make a positive difference in most systems, but they are VERY picky about physical placement, crossover point, volume level and proper phase matching with the main channels (i.e. the 0/180 degree switch on the rear panel and/or the "distance" setting on a surround receiver). So if everything isn't dialed in juuuuust right, yep, they can really suck too!
 
The Heresy was not really designed as a full range speaker, being intended for center fill or alternately voice reproduction -- their ads showed them used for PAs in churches, and made humorous comments about heresies in church.
 
My thoughts also they do sound like a pa speaker, which is somewhat good for what I'm after in my weld shop just want to match it up with good base with a 4 speaker 2 channel receiver. right now they are hooked up to a Mac 1900 I am trying out for the 1st time and that combo is not working either
 
Go for the Mach Ones. They are really great all around. You will be more satisfied with them than the Klipsch. Hope nobody thrashes me for that comment. I've never been crazy about Klipsch in general. Although I've heard a few sets that sounded good. The Mach One's are a little forward sounding because of the mid and tweeter horns. They can be tamed down with the controls on front. But the 15 inch woofer does a good job of filling in the lower octaves without being boomy or one note bass. I was skeptical before I got my first pair but after I heard them, I became a believer. They will get loud with little wattage but will take some power. Don't let the power ratings fool you. Some people called them PA speakers or whatever; I have to disagree. They have high efficiency (as all PA speakers do) but the bass will knock your socks off (unlike normal PA speakers). You don't normally get good deep bass (anything below 50hz) with PA speakers until you use good 15 inch woofers or 18 inchers.
 
Back
Top Bottom