• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hersey Idenifacation

coman61

Well-Known Member
Is it possible to tell the vintage of hersey by the badge? The reason I'm asking is because I have been looking at a pair that has the Klipsch Badge right on the front leading edge of the wood frame,.. not on the grills. Does this tell me anything or was this done by the former owner?
I need another pair of speakers like I need another crack in my a$$ but I have never heard klipsch speakers before except for La Scalas. I know that the herseys are not in the same leage as the La Scalas but just the same.. I'm thinking about giving them a try.
 
Register to hide this ad
You need the serial number to date the speakers.

KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947 ### (001) ending #021

1948-1961 #### (0121) starting #0121

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the
tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.



1962-1983 ##letter#### (20Y1234)


1962-1983 Letter format

A=62 F=67 K=72 R=77 X=82
B=63 G=68 L=73 S=78 Y=83
C=64 H=69 M=74 T=79
D=65 I=70 N=75 U=80
E=66 J=71 P=76 W=81


1984-1989(?) YY WW #### (89281234)


1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

DOY= day of the year
Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year


1998-2000 YY WW #### (00281234)

YY=year (i.e. 99,00?)

WW=week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example ? 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW
 
can you get us a pic??? If you mean the Klipsch badge is on the motorboard then they might be Klipsch Heresy Decorator models (without grills but sometimes the grills are added/fabricated later)
If they are older model Heresys they will have the serial number stamped into the wood of the speaker frame 'round back...
Bill
 
those badges were only on Klipschs for a short time (Klipsch with the stripes)...1978 and 1979 I think (my '78s have them, my '80s do not...I believe 1977 still had the "pie slice"...)...they don't go there (on the wood) so I suspect a previous ownder put them there...the grills look like the screen material is different than anything Klipsch...they are still Heresys!...:D...an appear on my monitor to be Walnut Oiled at that!
Bill
 
May I add something to the serial number identification of Heresys? My pair which I bought in Germany in 1980 are numbered 106U191 & 106U195. I'm thinking the first 3 digits are the day of the year & the letter U denotes 1980, therefore my pair was manufactured on April 16, 1980. Mine also have the designation of H/BR, which I take to denote Heresy/Birch Raw. These are some sweet speakers IMHO and have made the trip from Frankfurt Germany to all parts of the U.S. The only mishaps have been a small chip gone from one bottom corner and having to replace a diaphragm in one of the tweeters.

As a side note, if anyone happens to have a pair of the original risers could I trouble them to post a photo of the risers minus the speakers along with the dimensions? I'm considering building a set to see how these would sound off the floor since my new home has hardwood floors.
 
Back
Top Bottom