• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hey Doc Brown, Let's go stereo shopping in the 70's - A comparo @ OctoberFrankenFest

Which receiver doe you like best?


  • Total voters
    84

w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
Hey Doc Brown, Let's go stereo shopping in the 70's - A comparo @ OctoberFrankenFest

Time to break out the restored classic in the museum and set them up at our New England "OctoberFrankenFest" on October 15th for a comparison.

My goal is to compare the early "Monsters" although the Kenwood is from ~1978. These are all in the 100-120 watt range.

I built a simple switcher that allows me to connect 5 receivers to a single pair of speakers and one signal source for comparison.

What the switcher will do is allow for these to be all connected one at a time without shorting anything out (:nono:).

Basically, the signal (speaker and line level) passes through the switches when they're not selected but diverts the signal when switched. If two or more switches are selected then the one with the lower number will be selected and the others will remain isolated.

Speaker leads and the receiver amplifier outputs are connected to the barrier strips on the top and the RCAs are plugged into the back.

To select a unit the 2 switches (side-by-side) must both be selected. One is a 4PDT for the speakers and the other is a DPDT for the signal source.

For speakers I'm thinking of either my Ohm Walsh2 or Polk Monitor-7 speakers.

I'm thinking of a questionnaire for people to fill out. Things like what do they like the sound of better, bass-mids-highs-detail, features, aesthetics, etc.

All of the "contestants" have been recapped and restored:

Kenwood KR-11000G

Marantz 2325

Pioneer SX-1010

Sansui 9090DB

Yamaha CR-1000

Switcher:
attachment.php




attachment.php



attachment.php



attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Switcher1.jpg
    Switcher1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 207
  • KR11kg.jpg
    KR11kg.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 3xREC.jpg
    3xREC.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 208
  • CR1000.jpg
    CR1000.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Neat! Any chance of doing it with better speakers? Oh, and while I'm complaining, the Kenwood should probably be a KR-9600. ;) Are you going to do it blind?
 
I don't want to bring the KR-9600 - that would pair up against the SX-1250.
There are other speakers I could bring but I don't own a truck (or a fork lift).
Besides, those speakers are just fine!
 
As they say - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D
I don't think there's an ugly dog in the lot.
All different but all beautiful - we'll have to see where they stand in the performance category, that's the real test :yes:.
 
I don't think there's an ugly dog in the lot.
All different but all beautiful - we'll have to see where they stand in the performance category, that's the real test :yes:.

Couldn't agree more Jim, just a biased opinion on looks and performance on my part.
 
Back
Top Bottom