• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HH Scott Pro 100 vs Realistic Mach Two

Wray & Ting

Member
I have two pairs of vintage 15" floor speakers I picked up on the cheap, but each with issues - a pair of 1976 HH Scott Pro 100 (non-original woofers (!), no grilles) and more recently a pair of 1984 Realistic Mach Two (very nice shape but needed refoam of woofers and mids). I hooked them both up to my Optonica SM-3636, Scotts (A) sitting on top of Machs (B), to decide which I preferred (and which to keep). Having set out to do that simple task, I've now raised more questions than I've answered.

(A) The Scotts: I'm relatively new to home audio, but these have a profound soundscape to me. Listening to music from acoustic jazz to thrash metal via rock, these speakers really seem to separate instruments spatially in a very pleasing manner. The strong point in terms of frequency reproduction seems to be mids and highs; very clear and detailed to my ears. However, the bass is rather flaccid. My EQ settings for best listening on my amp are something like bass +4 to +6 and treble -2 (-10 to +10 scale). Increasing the bass like this helps, but it doesn't sound so natural. I blame the replacement woofers.

(B) The Machs: Initially I picked these up thinking the woofers might go in the Scotts, since the woofers in the Scotts (Radio Shack 40-1035 with Qts = 0.81) are poorly suited to a sealed cabinet. Now that the refoaming is complete, I've given these a listen. The strong point here is the bass, particularly after listening to my Scotts, but the mid and treble feel lacking. I'd almost describe the overall sound as muffled. The soundscape is not nearly so broad, with many instruments tending to sound more centrally located. My EQ settings are nearly the reverse, with a 0 on bass, and a +4/+6 on treble to get the most pleasing sound. As before, tweaking the EQ helps, but sounds kind of crude.

A+B: This is what really surprised me. With a flat EQ (or maybe +2/+2), listening through all the speakers together easily sounds better than either pair on its own. It's almost as if the weak points of each pair are covered by the strengths of the other. The Machs contribute a nice thump down low, and the Scotts provide their nice imaging, clarity, mids, and highs.

Overall I prefer the Scotts even with their mediocre woofers. I feel like I can compensate for the weak bass better than I can the lacking higher range in the Machs, and the soundscape is more immersive to top it off. So instead of asking which pair to keep, I'm looking for different insight:

1) Do people often prefer the sound of A+B arrangements in one listening environment over A or B alone? If so, is it because two pairs of speakers can complement each other, or something simpler like our brains like the sound coming from more speakers as opposed to fewer?

2) Is there any merit to swapping woofers? The purist in me (and probably a potential buyer) doesn't like the idea of breaking up the original drivers in the Mach Twos, but if the Scotts could sound like an 8 instead of a 7, might it be worth demoting the Machs from a 6 to a 5 and selling them? Maybe they wouldn't sound worse with the Scotts' replacement woofers than the Mach originals, but it seems more likely than not. I will probably try this at some point from sheer curiosity.

3) Something else? Mod the Mach Twos, seeing as they have legions of fans and there are many mods documented on AK? Keep both sets since I prefer the sound of both to either alone?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm relatively new too. I love the sound of A+B with mixed speakers. I play the same stuff (well, just the harder side, no jazz).
 
I finally made time to swap woofers, but it was a limited experiment. The Scott woofer baskets wouldn't fit in the Mach Two holes (and I wasn't about to enlarge them), so I put one of the Mach woofers in a Scott cabinet. After listening to various tunes using my amp's mono output feature, I couldn't really say the Scott speaker sounded significantly better with a Mach woofer in it. The bass might have been more resonant, versus maybe a tighter sounding bass with the "stock" Scott speaker. In any case, I won't make the woofer swap permanent due to the amount of modification required to the Mach cabinets. The Scotts need some exterior work (new grilles, some refinishing) so it looks like I'll keep the Machs hooked up while I complete that work, then part with them.

I'm relatively new too. I love the sound of A+B with mixed speakers. I play the same stuff (well, just the harder side, no jazz).

The best sound I can produce on this system is still with all four speakers in A+B. I'm guessing when people do an A+B setup in the same room they don't generally use the same type of speakers for both, i.e., in this case, 15" floor speakers? I'm picturing floor speakers + bookshelf speakers. What do you use in your A+B configuration?
 
The most important thing before doing anything else would be to replace the old capacitors with the cheap Parts Express capacitors and give them a good listen after that is done. If you prefer to spend a little more money you can use the Dayton's, but it's your call. Most speakers over 15 or 20 years old that utilize electrolytic capacitors have drifted out of tolerance and you are not really hearing what they should sound like. Keep us posted and good luck!
 
The most important thing before doing anything else would be to replace the old capacitors with the cheap Parts Express capacitors and give them a good listen after that is done. If you prefer to spend a little more money you can use the Dayton's, but it's your call. Most speakers over 15 or 20 years old that utilize electrolytic capacitors have drifted out of tolerance and you are not really hearing what they should sound like. Keep us posted and good luck!

Good point. Quite sure both sets of speakers have all original caps and are about 35 and 43 years old. Sounds like I have some soldering in my near future!
 
I finally made time to swap woofers, but it was a limited experiment. The Scott woofer baskets wouldn't fit in the Mach Two holes (and I wasn't about to enlarge them), so I put one of the Mach woofers in a Scott cabinet. After listening to various tunes using my amp's mono output feature, I couldn't really say the Scott speaker sounded significantly better with a Mach woofer in it. The bass might have been more resonant, versus maybe a tighter sounding bass with the "stock" Scott speaker. In any case, I won't make the woofer swap permanent due to the amount of modification required to the Mach cabinets. The Scotts need some exterior work (new grilles, some refinishing) so it looks like I'll keep the Machs hooked up while I complete that work, then part with them.



The best sound I can produce on this system is still with all four speakers in A+B. I'm guessing when people do an A+B setup in the same room they don't generally use the same type of speakers for both, i.e., in this case, 15" floor speakers? I'm picturing floor speakers + bookshelf speakers. What do you use in your A+B configuration?
One system has an Onkyo TX 4500 MKII with CF-2's and upgraded White Van Speakers (good highs and lows but no mids).

The other system is a Realistic STA-47 with BIG KLH 15" 's and Polk Audio 5's.
 
The most important thing before doing anything else would be to replace the old capacitors with the cheap Parts Express capacitors and give them a good listen after that is done. If you prefer to spend a little more money you can use the Dayton's, but it's your call. Most speakers over 15 or 20 years old that utilize electrolytic capacitors have drifted out of tolerance and you are not really hearing what they should sound like. Keep us posted and good luck!

I concur with doctorolds. New poly caps (Dayton's fer instance), should considerably improve the sound of the Mach 2's. Probable the only way to cure the bass woes of the Scott's would be to use some original woofers.
 
Back
Top Bottom