• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hi Fi Audio in Tokyo

Harmonica

Certified AK Enabler
Hi all,

My wife and I are taking a vacation to Tokyo here in a couple weeks. I was wondering if any fellow AKers know of, or have experience with some cool places to check out audio gear. Stores, show rooms, or even big box places that have decent stuff.

I plan on going to Akihabara to see the big electronics stores there. I'd really like to be able to listen to some systems. Where I live the only semblance of a showroom I have access to is Best Buy...

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi all,

My wife and I are taking a vacation to Tokyo here in a couple weeks. I was wondering if any fellow AKers know of, or have experience with some cool places to check out audio gear. Stores, show rooms, or even big box places that have decent stuff.

I plan on going to Akihabara to see the big electronics stores there. I'd really like to be able to listen to some systems. Where I live the only semblance of a showroom I have access to is Best Buy...

Thanks!

I don't recall any of the specific places, but I have seen pics from some of the members here have posted at times of places for vintage audio in Japan (like giant, clean, organised warehouses), and just wow! Good luck, hope you find one of those (and don't forget pics for us to drool over!)
 
plan on spending a full day in Akihabara. there are dozens of stores selling everything. like
cartridges you never see in the US.

as I recall, take the JR line from your hotel. the Tokyo Radio Department (TRD) famous
for little stores offering parts, closed a few years ago.

bring cash, loosely held in either hand.

while you're in Tokyo, find Tokyu Hands. last time I was there, there were two stores
one in a department store and the main store (In Shinjuku I recall but check). 7 half
stories each with a theme. at that time, you can find a D-cell vacuum tube amp, or the
tube kits, and an LP cutter using used CDs as blanks. they had a 20 variety toothpaste
with curry, peanut butter as flavors. and top floor was pens, paper, and fountain pens!
all my hobbies in one building.

enjoy. try the meals near railway/subway stations, 7-11 style stores, and in the basements
of department stores.

if its still around, there's a "ninja" restaurant in a hotel, that is black inside, no lights,
and waiters jump out of black paneled walls, and scare the crap out of you. serves
standard Japanese fare. an experience.
 
Nick, thanks for sharing that video, Harmonica we wish you and the wife a safe trip and hope you can share some of it when you return.
 
Thanks for the replies all! I have a list of places to go, and I don't think my wife knows how much time I'm capable of spending looking at electronics and audio goodies.
 
My Brother-in-law and sister were stationed in Japan for a good few years... how the hell did I forget that... I need to ask him about the audio in Japan. My gals sister and her brother-in-law are in Japan now, visiting... my gal has been talking about going as well... who knows maybe I'll be posting about Japan finds by next year lol!

Great thread!
 
Thanks for the replies all! I have a list of places to go, and I don't think my wife knows how much time I'm capable of spending looking at electronics and audio goodies.


^^
Oh man that post put a big grin on my face!! I'd be in the same boat.
 
Leben amps there cost half what they do here. Just sayin...

index.php


Jeez, they ruin my fun before it starts with their warranty warning...
 
IMG_20180411_173226077.jpg IMG_20180411_174756641.jpg IMG_20180411_175104338.jpg IMG_20180411_175133152.jpg IMG_20180411_174909917.jpg IMG_20180411_174825774.jpg IMG_20180413_135600236.jpg Got back stateside late last night.
We had a great time and did A LOT in a week. I wasn't able to get to as many hi-fi shops as I'd have liked but I did make the pilgrimage to Hifido, checked out Akihabara, and looked around Tower Records.

Hifido was amazing. So much quality gear per square foot and it was all very well maintained. He had few systems set up for listening including the monster system pictured. Huge Electro Voice Patrician 800 speakers powered by Accuphase M-6200 monoblocks.

Sorry if the gear pictures aren't that great but the space is fairly small and I was trying not to be in the way too much.

Tower Records was huge, but a little expensive. Still, its pretty uncommon to have such a large store for physical media anymore so it was fun to look through the large selection. Picked up a bilingual copy of the new Judas Priest album (The CD insert comes in English and Japanese).

There was a lot I unfortunately didn't have time for. You could spend days in Akihabara alone looking through all the shops.

Overall a great trip.
 
Back
Top Bottom