• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hi There from Ontario, Canada

BobHicks

AK Subscriber
Hi
I'm Bob from Bromapton Ontario. Just found this forum after getting donated some audio gear. Specifically a Leak stereo 50 amp with a Fisher 100-T tuner/preamp and an Ampex 960 reel to reel. I have also been using Traynor tube amps for my bass guitar since the sixties and have a some vintage recording stuidio gear such as Teac 5ex 8 channel mixing console and 2 Fostex R8 reel to reels with sinchronisers . Lately have been acquiring some vintage test gear and am actively trying to teach myself how to service my own equiptment. Any help in pointing me in the right direction for self study books/online info would be appreciated. I see there is an area with that kind of info here that I will be exploring.

Cheers
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to the nuthouse. You have a lucky star as the Leak 50 is a really nice power amp. Did you also get the mathing preamp? The Fisher 100-T I'm not familiar with but if like most of their tube tuner/preamps you also did really good in getting it. If they have been in storage for any time, you should power them up using a variac. Also, they probably will do better with an examination as the caps if this age will be very suspect, especially with the Leak.
 
hi, and welcome to ak. as brian pointed out the leak is a very fine tube amplifier to get your feet with tube hi fi gear.

I have also been using Traynor tube amps for my bass guitar since the sixties

what traynors?
 
Thanks for the warm welcome :D . To answer some of your questions:

1. No I did not get the Leak matching pre amp as the person I got it from (now deceased) had the Fisher mated with it. Also got some tapes and albums but sadly the turntable was allready spoken for.
2. Traynor bass amps, currently have 2 YBA-1's and 1 YBA-2 (Bassmaster Mk I and Mk II respectively) They are currently on my bench and I am using a Traynor Mono Bloc II solid state in the meantime. One of them I purchased new in '67 with a twin 15 cab. Also have a couple of Voice of Music amps from 1949 - 1950 that my wife uses for her harmonica.

3. I have no intention of just plugging it in and turning on the juice. I am taking note of all the sage advice I am reading here and am in no real hurry allthough I am bitting at the bit as you can imagine. I plan on just cleaning, inspecting, evaluating and documenting first. Then asking a lot of questions.

Brian, I see you are in To. I'm hoping you may have some useful info regarding parts sources and maybe a good repair shop in case I need it. I usually deal with Ontario Audio/Video Service for all my vintage music recording/mixing/playing gear but haven't asked them about the Leak/Fisher yet.

I will try to post some pics as soon as I check the FAQ for the proceedure here. I keep getting side tracked with all the great post here.

Thanks

Bob :music:
 
Hi
I'm Bob from Bromapton Ontario. Just found this forum after getting donated some audio gear. ....

Cheers

Hi There - I'm sure you mean Brampton...lol. I'm from Stoney Creek, just east of Hamilton myself. I used to do some work out your way on Rutherford Road.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
Bob,

Welcome to the forum. I have some ancient connections in your neck of the woods. My GG grandfather was the 1st town council clerk of Drayton, and owned the 1st store in Drayton. Also have connections in Markham & Hamilton. It's a long story.

Enjoy the forum!
 
Back
Top Bottom