• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

high complaince carts?

stonedeaf

Well-Known Member
I'm looking at a table/arm combo that is really designed for high compliance carts. Have a Grado Green here - this is a medium compliance cart ( I think?). In terms of high compliance carts : Shure 97 ?, Soundsmith B&O recreation ? - what else is currently available new (not interested in used/classic/low hour,etc.?) to work with a very low mass arm (Sother TriBeam SLT) ?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not familiar with that Souther in particular, but generally speaking, compliance alone is only half the story - 'cause cartridge weight is important just as well. In other words: If the balance range of the arm allows, you don't necessarily need to use a cart with really high compliance - 'cause then you can use a little heavier cart with just moderately high compliance (e.g. an Audio Technica AT150MLX) or even a pretty heavy cart with only medium compliance (e.g. an Ortofon Rondo Blue) just as well.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
That said, the Grado, being an average weight cartridge, and requiring 1.5g tracking force would be medium high compliance--that would still be fine as would the Shure. Others to consider would be the AT-440MLa, AT-120E, Stanton 681EEE.
 
I'd suggest you look at the Ortofon OM30 and OM40, there's also the ADC XLM MKIII available NOS from williamthakker on that auction site.
 
I'd suggest you look at the Ortofon OM30 and OM40, there's also the ADC XLM MKIII available NOS from williamthakker on that auction site.

Another potential candidate for the shopping list is an NOS Ortofon M20E Super, from the same vendor, that has generated a good amount of buzz. But it's typical mass (5g) combined with high compliance are theoretically too much for my Magnepan Unitrac with an effective mass of 7 g. I couldn't find any specs on the particular arm in question...the Ortofon M20FL Super (same vendor again) has a more arm-friendly compliance and a superb reputation as well.
 
Another potential candidate for the shopping list is an NOS Ortofon M20E Super, from the same vendor, that has generated a good amount of buzz. But it's typical mass (5g) combined with high compliance are theoretically too much for my Magnepan Unitrac with an effective mass of 7 g. I couldn't find any specs on the particular arm in question...the Ortofon M20FL Super (same vendor again) has a more arm-friendly compliance and a superb reputation as well.

I've used the OM 30 on my Unitrac with no problems at all.

russellc
 
Back
Top Bottom