• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

High gain on Croft Micro 25 Pre and Model 7 Power

nnegi

New Member
Hi Everyone

I have Croft Micro 25 pre and Model 7 powering a pair of Turnberry speakers, I find the gain on this pair exceptionally high. Basically I am able to use just 5-10% of the volume knob and at that point I am close to maximum level of loudness that I can listen at. The amps are in stock condition with factory tubes. Is there an easy way to address this without any major trade offs ? Other option is obviously to sell the amplifier but I really like this and it is now a hard to find entity, specially here in India.

The gain is high on both phono as well as line inputs.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
If you want to stick with the factory tube compliment, the easy fix is to run inline 12db attenuators between the preamp and amp.
I do this on a Conrad Johnson set up I have and it works fine. Now I can use the volume control in a more predictable range.
I think the gain structure also gives me a slightly lower noise floor.
 
Don't attenuators degrade sound (by not attenuating all frequencies equally ) ? I am open to changing tubes as that is easy and not a modification as such. Tubes are consumables.
 
Don't attenuators degrade sound (by not attenuating all frequencies equally ) ?
No, they don't.
attenuator.JPG

Yes, accusing me of being biased might be a fair criticism.
 
Back
Top Bottom