• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Hit the vinyl motherlode today

Photobitstream

Reformed Audiophile
Went to Men's Wearhouse to order a tux for a friend's wedding, had lunch with my wife, and stopped at Half Price Books on the way home. Score!

John Stewart, "California Bloodlines"
Marshall Tucker Band, "Carolina Dreams"
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, "Stars and Stripes Forever"
Gary Stewart, "Out of Hand"
Gary Stewart, "Gary Stewart"
Jackson Browne, "Saturate Before Using"
Gato Barbieri, "Caliente"
Gato Barbieri, "Ruby, Ruby"
Carl Perkins, "Ol' Blue Suede's Back"
J.J. Cale, "Grasshopper"
Dave Edmunds, "DE 7th"
Dave Edmunds, "Information"
Nick Lowe, "The Abominable Showman"

I passed on an otherwise pristine copy of Nils Lofgren's "Cry Tough" because there was a gouge in my favorite track, and I have the others on CD. The Gary Stewart albums look and sound like they've never been played.
 
Register to hide this ad
You're right, "Caliente" was excellent. "Ruby, Ruby," however, was a disappointment. Halfway through the third track I canceled the recording session and put the LP away. Too many strings and not enough emotion.
 
Nice stuff, congrats! Gary Stewart's 'Out of Hand' is a honky tonk classic (*****Allmusic Guide) and 'California Bloodlines' has some fine moments too (Razor-Back Woman, Some Lonesome Picker etc.) and is pretty hard to come by, at least in these parts...
 
Chuck D, welcome to AK. I agree with your assessment of the last five albums. I used to have "DE 7th" and "The Abominable Showman" in my collection. It's nice to have them back.

Gator, I had never heard "Out of Hand" and wasn't much interested in Country music in the 1970s, but when I saw it in the store I recalled reading an excellent review when it was released. I listened to it the other night while ripping it to my hard drive, and you're right. It is an awesome album. Gary Stewart had a great voice. "California Bloodlines" isn't all that rare in these parts. John Stewart plays the Kerrville Folk Festival a lot, and usually makes an appearance or two in Austin while he's in the area. I've spent some time with him backstage at the folk festival, and he's really down to earth, not at all taken with himself.
 
John Stewart- More then just "Gold"

I never heard anything except Bombs Away Dream Babies until I picked up some earlier LP's a couple years ago. Great stuff

July, You're a Woman
 
Back
Top Bottom