• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hitachi D-900 Vs Harmon Kardon

jntit

Super Member
Evening, I'm looking to get a cassette deck, and have been looking at a Hitachi D-900 & a Harmon Kardon CD-401. Does anyone have any info or experience with these decks? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John
 
Register to hide this ad
No experience with those particular decks, but with the manufacturers, yes.

I have had decks from both, but it would not be fair to compare, as they were from different eras.

I would expect them both to sound better than good, and I don't think you would be disappointed with either.

I presume, of course, that you're getting a deal on whichever one you take.

Can you do a side by side comparison?

That may be the best way to make the decision . . . or just get both . . . :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Cheers
 
I really like the look of the Hitachi, I've got a HMA 7500 amp that I really like, it's just the price for the Hitachi is a bit high.
 
He Wants $104.00, it's on e bay, for bid he's had no bids yet, wants $44 for shipping. If it was local I'd pay the $60.00 for the deck.
 
Last edited:
I would go for the harman/kardon CD-401. It has a much better head (one of the very best), better circuit and much more serviceable mechanics.

Cheers

Alex
 
I have a Hitachi D 980m and a D 3300m. They are both excellent decks with great built quality--just lift one. The sound is great too. I also have a HK D 420--a good deck too. Personally, I'd go for the Hitachi because I like their products, but HK is a good product too.
 
I have a Hitachi D 980m and a D 3300m. They are both excellent decks with great built quality--just lift one. The sound is great too. I also have a HK D 420--a good deck too. Personally, I'd go for the Hitachi because I like their products, but HK is a good product too.

Both the D980M and the D3300M are much better decks than the D900, mostly because of much better heads. The D900's head likely is worn and the deck would not perform well.

Cheers

Alex
 
Last edited:
I have a cd 401 and it is easily the nicest cassette deck I have owned, not that I have owned that many. The only downside are those little push switches which are a bear to clean.

Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom