• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hitachi HT-463

Thank you for the information about the tone arm and spindle distance. :)

The "factory/manufacturer" uses the 51 mm cartridge alignment as illustrated in the the owner' manual of the Hitachi HT-463.
They both have a 205 mm pivot to spindle distance. I have all the original paperwork for the 463, and it matches exactly the 460. I get very good alignment results, and I have measured and verified that distance.
 
They both have a 205 mm pivot to spindle distance. I have all the original paperwork for the 463, and it matches exactly the 460. I get very good alignment results, and I have measured and verified that distance.
Much thanks for the verification. :thumbsup:
 
Enjoying the new posts on this old thread! Wolfie62, do you know what tonearm mass is on the HT-463? I'm using an AT-120E on it and wondering if it's a good match. My 463 is still running well although the automatic is not working properly. I admit some of the newer TTs have been getting my attention (U-Turn, Fluance) and wonder how they'd stack up to the Hitachi.
 
Don’t know the mass, but it plays medium and high compliance carts with no issues at all. Running AT carts, ADC, Empire, no problems.

You’d be hard pressed to do better than the 463 unless you’re willing to spend $3,500+. Compare features.Quartz Lock, strobe, die cast precision machined platter, dust cover, stainless steel spindle, precision motor bearings, jeweled tonearm bearings, precise counterweight, isolated motor/plinth, isolation feet, full auto play, and more. A carbon fiber tonearm doesn’t get you much; cheap fishing rods use the same. Precision alloy damped tonearm is far more costly. Removable, adjustable headshell. Add it all up! For a Rega equivalent, $3,500+.
 
You're making excellent points and I appreciate it. I also have a Dual 621 and was advised not to replace it with a new TT but the explanation was not nearly as detailed as yours. Have you upgraded the cables on the Hitachi?
 
No. Haven’t seen, heard, or measured any need to. Esthetically, my cables aren’t seen, so no need to there either. Would be very easy to do, though.

My totally system capacitance per channel is 185, right where I like it for my carts. I have 56 vintage carts.
 
You've given me a new perspective on this turntable, and I thank you very much. I've realigned and re-balanced with some extra care. I bought mine from a gentleman who rarely used it. He not only had the original manual and warranty card, but the sales receipt. I've switched back and forth the past five years or so between it and my Dual, but the Dual is in need of some major TLC.

Silly question: can the feet be adjusted to level the table?
 
Last edited:
No, the feet aren’t adjustable. I need to scan my original manual, set up guide, and warranty card. No copy on Vinyl Engine. You’ll have to level what the table sits on.
 
Don’t know the mass, but it plays medium and high compliance carts with no issues at all. Running AT carts, ADC, Empire, no problems.

You’d be hard pressed to do better than the 463 unless you’re willing to spend $3,500+. Compare features.Quartz Lock, strobe, die cast precision machined platter, dust cover, stainless steel spindle, precision motor bearings, jeweled tonearm bearings, precise counterweight, isolated motor/plinth, isolation feet, full auto play, and more. A carbon fiber tonearm doesn’t get you much; cheap fishing rods use the same. Precision alloy damped tonearm is far more costly. Removable, adjustable headshell. Add it all up! For a Rega equivalent, $3,500+.

$3500??? LOL
 
Obviously, you’ve never added up the prices for Rega TTs that have the same features! LOL!!

Go ahead and do it! I’ll wait.....

Who said anything about cold sounding Rega TT's? There's at least 5 VPI models that you could get used or new for under $3500 that would smoke this Hitachi. It's a fine entry level DD TT. New it was mid-level and held it's own with more expensive models by Denon & Technics but lets not exaggerate how good it sounds. Who cares about features? It's all about sound quality. It's still only a 14lb light weight.
 
LOL!!

Now you’re subjectively saying a Rega is substandard too!

I suppose any table mentioned, you’ll find fault with!

The Hitachi was an upper mid table. Extremely well executed design. Great arm. But the collective features it has are what compares so well to very pricey tables offered today.

I only chose Rega to compare to because it’s easy to go up the food chain of features and add them up, culminating in $2500-$3500 price tag.

Cha-Ching!!!
 
Who cares about features? It's all about sound quality. It's still only a 14lb light weight.

I keep forgetting that total weight is the only measure of a good table!! Silly me!

And features don’t count either! Not even the feature of SQ! Or speed accuracy, or tonearm!

I have so much more to learn!
 
LOL!!

Now you’re subjectively saying a Rega is substandard too!

I suppose any table mentioned, you’ll find fault with!

The Hitachi was an upper mid table. Extremely well executed design. Great arm. But the collective features it has are what compares so well to very pricey tables offered today.

I only chose Rega to compare to because it’s easy to go up the food chain of features and add them up, culminating in $2500-$3500 price tag.

Cha-Ching!!!
I would prefer this Hitachi to a Rega. I'm sure I could mod it to get more out of it. I had a P2, it ran fast & hummed. Tonearm wires were super thin & no adjustments for VTA, SRA , Azimuth etc. I couldn't use any of my Grados with it. No ground wire on a TT is just dumb.
 
I’ve had excellent service from my HT-460 and 463, also my PS-10.

Currently running an ADC 10E MKIV at 0.8 grams. The entire ADC lineup up to the Astrion. GE VRII mono cart, also the VR22 and 1000. It’s a very versatile table. But I’m not a fan of Grado carts.
 
I’ve had excellent service from my HT-460 and 463, also my PS-10.

Currently running an ADC 10E MKIV at 0.8 grams. The entire ADC lineup up to the Astrion. GE VRII mono cart, also the VR22 and 1000. It’s a very versatile table. But I’m not a fan of Grado carts.
Reviving a great old thread.

Just found a Hitachi HT-463 TT for $40 - available in my area. It has a ADC Integra cart, seller says the needle works fine. Anyone know about this setup?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1589.jpeg
    IMG_1589.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom