• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HK 330c poor FM stereo reception

N8Nagel

Addicted Member
Hi all,

Recently I dragged out my old 330c that I've had since college (bought used and cheap) to set up at my girlfriend's place. I replaced the dial lights and gave it a deoxit/faderlube bath and it still sounds good. However, the meter has never worked and FM goes in and out of stereo even on strong signals where her Denon receiver is actually getting HD one floor below (no roof antenna, both are using cheap dipoles)

Is there a common problem that would cause this or will I need to take it to someone who knows what they're doing after this temporary setup is replaced with a real AVR? I'd like to keep this operational as it could easily make a nice bedroom or office system still.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a 330c once with no FM. There was a bad IF or AF IC in the tuner (I don't know which, it was a LONG time ago).

The service manual for those is great and lists the voltages on the transistors and ICs.
I was able to find replacment IC pretty easy so I think they are common.

How clean is the unit inside? A dirty tuning cap can make things crappy too.
Given it's age, old caps can make it crappy too.
 
A little dirty but not bad. It did spend a few years in a smoking house so there may be some buildup. There were no dust bunnies to flush out but I did not hose down anything with solvent. What would you use, electromotive followed by more faderlube to protect, or something else?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom