• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HK 730 twin vs Sansui 9090... Guys help me out here.

RollyMngwald

New Member
Hello fellow audio nerds. I have a gear question and I need some advice...

Here's the situation. I'm currently running an HK730 Twin and I love it. I mean I really love this thing. 2 aux and 2 tape loops mean I can run my TV as well as my tape deck, CD, digital and my turntable. And the 40w dual mono construction gives me all the power I need for my JBL 4345's.. Seriously.. 95db efficient makes the difference in the power between the two units a moot point to me. I have a pair of ADS L1530's and this guy is wanting to trade me this Sansui 9090 in pretty good condition as well as an Arcam CD 137 CD/DVD player for them.

My question is this.. I like the warm Sansui sound (I've had a 27w quad receiver and I really liked the warm sound)..but I don't need the extra power and I'll be annoyed with one less input to work with. Is there something about the 'sui that should really bring me in? Or do I just sit back and be happy with the HK730?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello fellow audio nerds. I have a gear question and I need some advice...

Here's the situation. I'm currently running an HK730 Twin and I love it. I mean I really love this thing. 2 aux and 2 tape loops mean I can run my TV as well as my tape deck, CD, digital and my turntable. And the 40w dual mono construction gives me all the power I need for my JBL 4345's.. Seriously.. 95db efficient makes the difference in the power between the two units a moot point to me. I have a pair of ADS L1530's and this guy is wanting to trade me this Sansui 9090 in pretty good condition as well as an Arcam CD 137 CD/DVD player for them.

My question is this.. I like the warm Sansui sound (I've had a 27w quad receiver and I really liked the warm sound)..but I don't need the extra power and I'll be annoyed with one less input to work with. Is there something about the 'sui that should really bring me in? Or do I just sit back and be happy with the HK730?
Those both sound good, some may prefer one over the other but both are generally recognized as having good sound. Me, I would stay with which ever one I had unless I just wanted to play with gear, which is always fun. The 9090 power will, at times, provide an audible difference at higher levels of playback, it will 'kick' harder at high volume. That series of HK is good. If you aren't particularly attached to the ADS you might make the trade and compare side to side. If you trade let us know what you think. Those are quite the speakers, lived with them for a while, excellent JBLs.
 
Those both sound good, some may prefer one over the other but both are generally recognized as having good sound. Me, I would stay with which ever one I had unless I just wanted to play with gear, which is always fun. The 9090 power will, at times, provide an audible difference at higher levels of playback, it will 'kick' harder at high volume. That series of HK is good. If you aren't particularly attached to the ADS you might make the trade and compare side to side. If you trade let us know what you think. Those are quite the speakers, lived with them for a while, excellent JBLs.
Hey Spicer,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not particularly attached to the ADS L1530's since I own the 4345's. However if I did not.. they would be an "end-game" speaker for me. They are absolutely fantastic. So trading doesn't make me squeamish in any meaningful way.. I do fire them up occasionally and they always make me smile. And yeah, the 4345's are bonkers... I've had them almost a year and they blow me away almost every day.

I've heard people comment that the HK twin power receivers compare with receivers at twice their rated power. I know that's purely subjective.. but my personal experience with a Pioneer SX-890, and a Luxman R-1070 don't lead me to jump on the internet and call those people liars.

I've kind of already half ass committed to the trade with the guy.. so I will update later once we make the swap and I'll offer my opinion.

~Rolly
 
Hey Spicer,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not particularly attached to the ADS L1530's since I own the 4345's. However if I did not.. they would be an "end-game" speaker for me. They are absolutely fantastic. So trading doesn't make me squeamish in any meaningful way.. I do fire them up occasionally and they always make me smile. And yeah, the 4345's are bonkers... I've had them almost a year and they blow me away almost every day.

I've heard people comment that the HK twin power receivers compare with receivers at twice their rated power. I know that's purely subjective.. but my personal experience with a Pioneer SX-890, and a Luxman R-1070 don't lead me to jump on the internet and call those people liars.

I've kind of already half ass committed to the trade with the guy.. so I will update later once we make the swap and I'll offer my opinion.

~Rolly
Well... everything else being equal more power is good at higher play levels, headroom counts, but at lower levels that most likely won't matter. Twice the power is significant. If you make the trade I would be interested to hear what you think. I like the sound of the HK and the Sansui, either one would be good but on those occasions when you turn it up the extra power of the Sansui becomes obvious. I've played with all them and that is my experience.
 
It strikes me that you'll still have your 730 and 4345s after the trade - so, without speaking to the value side of things as that's up to you if it think it's fair - it sounds like you'd be able to try out the 9090 without risking breaking up the system you know you love.

I personally only ever had an hk430 and ran it with L200Bs, so apples and oranges, but I then restored a 9090 and thought it wasn't even close, I preferred the 9090 by a country mile. The tone, the depth, the volume, I just loved it. Plus I really like the look of the thing and it's huge!

Then I went to an MC7300 and L300s so the 9090 went on its way but, it was memorable enough for me to suggest you at least try it (again, assuming you're happy with the value side of the trade). My two cents for what they're worth!
 
It strikes me that you'll still have your 730 and 4345s after the trade - so, without speaking to the value side of things as that's up to you if it think it's fair - it sounds like you'd be able to try out the 9090 without risking breaking up the system you know you love.

I personally only ever had an hk430 and ran it with L200Bs, so apples and oranges, but I then restored a 9090 and thought it wasn't even close, I preferred the 9090 by a country mile. The tone, the depth, the volume, I just loved it. Plus I really like the look of the thing and it's huge!

Then I went to an MC7300 and L300s so the 9090 went on its way but, it was memorable enough for me to suggest you at least try it (again, assuming you're happy with the value side of the trade). My two cents for what they're worth!
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the input. Yeah. I won't have to get rid of one to get the other. I will, however, make a decision and sell whichever loses the battle. I like to listen to a lot of stuff, but I don't hoard gear. I guess my main focus is improving my overall system, while at the same time building my knowledge and experience base. It's been a fun ride for sure, and I've only been into it for about 3.5 years. So I still have a lot to learn and experience.

~Rolly
 
I would keep the 470 twin since you already like how it sounds. Look for a lower wattage Sansui like a 505 or 555a to see how you like the Sansui sound they don't cost all that much on Ebay. The twins are expensive now so hope you got yours at a good price.
 
I would keep the 470 twin since you already like how it sounds. Look for a lower wattage Sansui like a 505 or 555a to see how you like the Sansui sound they don't cost all that much on Ebay. The twins are expensive now so hope you got yours at a good price.
Mine is actually a 730 twin. I got it in a trade, and I did very well on that trade. I maybe paid $300 for it due to the nature of the trade, and I'm extremely happy with it. I've heard the Sansui sound. I had a QRX-4500 27w/channel quad receiver that I thought the preamp section sounded amazing in. The only real option is this 9090 this guy wants to trade for some ADS L1530's I'm trying to sell. I don't mind the trade though. The Sansui is worth every bit as much as the ADS's if not a little more.
 
Those H/Ks can sound clear, natural AND detailed. I honestly don't see any downside to this particular sound signature at all (it's extremely close to ideal) and keeping the 730 in rotation and not swapping it out (most especially if it has been recapped which will clean/ clear up its sound even more and put it above a 9090 for sure especially if the Sansui hasn't been recapped yet). I think the 730 is also easier to work on/ service which is another consideration that favors the H/K as well.
 
I at one time owned both the 9090db and HK730. Both are terrific receivers and have their own "classic" sound signature. IMO, this is a situation which I would keep both, and it appears you can afford to. Then you can swap one for the other on occasion to get a "change of pace" regarding the SQ. You won't be disappointed.
 
The HK730 driving a pair of Polk 10s was my intro to well reproduced music those many years ago. Am sure a refurbished HK730 would be at least as good today. No experience with the 9090, so can't comment there.
 
::UPDATE::

Well.. this has turned into a real $#!T show. So. I went to go get the 'sui last night and this Arcam CD/DVD player, an hour away, with the wind blowing like 30mph steady. Needless to say, the plastic wrap and tarp I was using to keep the beating sun and blowing dust off the L1530's for the guy I was delivering to fought me from my house to my shop where I could grab my tonneau cover. I had to stop 3 times to rearrange things to keep it from blowing all over the place. So get through 5:00 traffic to get there and I start looking at the receiver and this guy has it hooked up to a pair of speakers stacked on top of each other with one facing away from the place the receiver was sitting and facing toward. I fiddled with it a bit, used a DVD player the guy had to test and decided it was good (big mistake). Then I asked about the Arcam player we had agreed on and he says.. "oh yeah.. sorry, but it's not working.. here let me give you this Panasonic DVD/BluRay player instead" .. I was like "no, let me have the Arcam and I will take it to my tech and have it fixed.".. He's like "alright let me go find the power cord".. after a couple minutes of futzing around in his storage bedroom.. I told him I had extra power cables at home and not to worry about it. So I load up, invite my gear head buddy over, ready to sit back and soak up some suds and some warm Sansui sounds... and it turns out the right channel is blown on her. Supreme dissapointment ensued. Now I know the 'sui can be fixed.. but I've been jazzed up about it all week, and now it will be a month before I get it back from my tech. :( Oh and it turned out the Arcam worked fine. I think he just wanted to keep it and was willing to try a quick maneuver on me to see if he could. What an absolute jerkass.2224585b0a0cfde5c66646e07081fe6d.jpeg
 
Sorry to hear that - what a shame. I hope it turns out to be a quick fix ...
I dropped it off at my tech's shop this morning shortly after he opened up. I described how it ran when I had it fired up and he didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but he never does. He usually straightens them out in 3-4 weeks and doesn't charge an arm and leg either. The problem is.. he isn't a young man, and when he quits my world is going to go upside down.

~Rolly
 
I dropped it off at my tech's shop this morning shortly after he opened up. I described how it ran when I had it fired up and he didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but he never does. He usually straightens them out in 3-4 weeks and doesn't charge an arm and leg either. The problem is.. he isn't a young man, and when he quits my world is going to go upside down.

~Rolly

Same here. My tech - some 50 years of audio repair experience - is 76 years old. Earlier this year he refurbished my 1970 Bang&Olufsen "Beogram 1800" turntable and he did a good job as always. One day I will miss him.
 
Well.. after nearly 3 months at the repair shop.. I finally got the 9090 home for a real listening session last night. I've played the phono stage for a few albums and it was great, then tuned in the local jazz station that doesn't have a very powerful transmitter, it was rock solid, in stereo and sounded fantastic. Next I ran my tape deck for an album.. and then settled in for some digital action on the Wiim. I love the warm Sansui sound. I can't really describe what it is.. but there is something a little more inviting about the Sansui than the Mitsubishi stack I was listening to (DA-A10, DA-P10). The Mitsu stuff was fine/good.. but this is different. Like I said.. I can't exactly put my finger on what it is.

Now to answer the question from the original post might take some time to actually get to. My HK 730 has developed a cold solder joint somewhere in the pre out/main in connection and now it needs to go into the tech.. Subsequently he is extremely backed up and going into his busy season for his other business. So it could be another 2-3 months before I get the HK 730 back.

My preliminary conclusion leans towards the 'sui. That Mitsu amp is 100w dual mono, and I definitely noticed a boost in bass response and overall punch... and I like it. Now I had listened to the JBL's on big power previously, with my Yamaha M2 amp and an Acurus preamp, but I found that to be a bit neutral/clinical for my tastes. I still have those pieces set aside as my bi-amp woofer amp (still trying to get the right crossover at the right price) and backup preamp in case anything ever goes down on the 'sui.. I'll be able to just shift gears and head to the tech. The tunes do not stop at my house.

I'll update this thread again at a later date and answer the answer the initial question once I am able.

Thanks guys,
~Rolly
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom