• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HK citation 16 VS Marantz 170DC

Dave Bowman

It's a way of life!
Well I do love my 170DC. The sound is great, but I am finding it a little lacking in the "oomph" deparment.....
I have found locally a Harmon Kardon citation 16a for $300, and since the information on this amp is a little sparse......... I turn to the good Karma here......
I do NOT want to lose the Sound and Stage of the Marantz just to gain more watts........

So is the HK worth dropping my 170DC for? or should I keep looking around.......

Thanks!
Dave

Thorens 145/ SME 3009
Lux C1010pre/t110 tuner
Energy Pro 22's

THIS ALBUM MUST BE PLAYED LOUD!
 
Register to hide this ad
HK's are fast amps which translates to greater accuracy and clarity. There will be less of the Marantz coloration which to my ears sounds good in my 300DC. However, the HK will be more revealing and if you like the forward sounding West Coast like me, you will be very happy. BTW, $300 is a good price and should you not like the 16a, you will be able to get you money back.
 
Thanks for the reply! I'm still scouring the web for more info on the 16....
but any more info here would be great!

Dave
 
I've always wanted a Citation 16 myself ever since they came out. If you do pick this one up, make sure it has been looked at as the caps are getting to be 30 years old.

Cheers,

David
 
Back
Top Bottom