• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Home built Klipsch enclosures/Altec 416-8A

jackson

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Howdy- I have a set of perfect Altec 416-8A 15" woofers- I have a chance to purchase an OK set of home built Klipsch enclosures from Speaker Lab plans reasonably priced. They have a less than desirable woofer in them now.
Would the Altec 416-8A drivers be appropriate for these enclosures?

I really do not have space for them, but I want to put the Altecs to good use.

Any input appreciated! Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
If your Altecs are 15" they can only be mounted on the rear face of the baffle. If they have the 16" frame the cutout may need resizing to fit. Either way the Klipsch cabinets likely won't be the right size for the Altecs. Any 416 type really needs a 9 cu ft vented box or a purpose built horn to work properly. If you use a horn it's a mid range driver unless the horn is huge. If you use a vented box you need to find matching drivers for the upper end, which is not that easy. Altec often crossed the 416s between 500 and 1200Hz.
 
Back
Top Bottom