• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Homemade Isolation Feet

Will these isolation feet cause an audible difference during playback?

  • Yes

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3

Natasha Bell

The Adcom Girl
Subscriber
My husband is making sets of homemade isolation feet for me from a very thick, multilayer bamboo cutting board for me. The board itself if probably 1.5 inches thick, maybe even 1.75, and it appears to be 5 individual layers of thinner bamboo sheets layered one on top of the other. Then, on the top and the bottom a thin layer, maybe 0.25 inches or so, of a rubber like material (which he had left over from a project).

Any ideas of this would function properly as isolation feet. It's something we have sitting around and the cost is like zero, just a little time it takes to do it.

Tasha :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Are you using this board under a turntable? Are you getting feedback vibrations?

When I have this issue, I've used denser, heavier material. Like shotgun pellet-filled platforms or thick acrylic slabs. Or both.
 
Are you using this board under a turntable? Are you getting feedback vibrations?

When I have this issue, I've used denser, heavier material. Like shotgun pellet-filled platforms or thick acrylic slabs. Or both.
My idea is to isolate all of my equipment. As Steven does woodworking as a hobby, he can make all the items look really nice too. I got the idea when I saw it from a You-Tuber called Sound-In-Grooves. He does reviews of stereo systems and albums. In his reviews there are often people whose stereos he reviews who use entire cutting boards as a form of "isolation" feet. I figure, instead of having the huge area, using a smaller foot, like what comes on the components themselves, would possibly be more effective. As far as getting feedback vibrations... no, not really I don't think, but I figure you always hear that isolation feet work.

Tasha :)
 
My idea is to isolate all of my equipment. As Steven does woodworking as a hobby, he can make all the items look really nice too. I got the idea when I saw it from a You-Tuber called Sound-In-Grooves. He does reviews of stereo systems and albums. In his reviews there are often people whose stereos he reviews who use entire cutting boards as a form of "isolation" feet. I figure, instead of having the huge area, using a smaller foot, like what comes on the components themselves, would possibly be more effective.

Tash
a :)
Yeah. It would probably be best to use isolation "feet" under the units. Between the chopping boards and the amps/tuner/etc.

I like using feet because they raise the amps. This allows better airflow under them. Kind of a secondary benefit. :)
 
My husband is making sets of homemade isolation feet for me from a very thick, multilayer bamboo cutting board for me. The board itself if probably 1.5 inches thick, maybe even 1.75, and it appears to be 5 individual layers of thinner bamboo sheets layered one on top of the other. Then, on the top and the bottom a thin layer, maybe 0.25 inches or so, of a rubber like material (which he had left over from a project).

Any ideas of this would function properly as isolation feet. It's something we have sitting around and the cost is like zero, just a little time it takes to do it.

Tasha :biggrin:

You can also chop onions on it while swapping albums.

I personally use solid aluminum feet, the larger the better. Most of the ones i use are 49mm x 22mm. They can be found online for low buck.
IMG_2589.jpeg

Those are some smaller ones but you can get them in all sorts of shapes and sizes and colors.
 
Just a thought. If your turntable is on a solid foundation, like a concrete floor, it might be best to connect it solidly to the floor. No isolation. Some company's sell feet designed for just that as they sit on sharp spikes.

If your on a wood floor that might vibrate with sound or move with walking near them, Then we want to isolate the table from the floor. I've heard a bamboo cutting board makes a good general purpose base for a turntable too.
 
Just a thought. If your turntable is on a solid foundation, like a concrete floor, it might be best to connect it solidly to the floor. No isolation. Some company's sell feet designed for just that as they sit on sharp spikes.

If your on a wood floor that might vibrate with sound or move with walking near them, Then we want to isolate the table from the floor. I've heard a bamboo cutting board makes a good general purpose base for a turntable too.
That all depends on what type of table. If I had to isolate a non suspension Direct Drive table, I'd look into a eg. OMA Slate base. I tried almost every material for my Technics 2010 I settled for Corian.The feet are the Isonoe on a wall shelf. To tell you the truth, I haven't tried a Slate tile,but it's on my to do list.
 
Back
Top Bottom