• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hopefully I have a 170DC coming soon

airtime

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I may be getting my hands on a 170DC very soon. I am really looking forward to FINALLY hearing one of the DC series amps. I will be pairing it up with a fully restored and tweaked (to my taste) Marantz 3600 preamp.

The 3600 paired with a restored 250 sounds really nice and full, or vintaggie if you like. This has always left me to wonder what a "cleaner" sounding amp would sound like paired with this pre.

If I could only speed up tiime to get my amp???

charles
 
Register to hide this ad
I also have a fully restored (by echowars) 3600 pre-amp. Without question it's the best sounding pre-amp I've had out of the couple dozen or so that've been in my set-ups.
The warmest ss amp I have right now is a soundcraftsment mosfet 5002. The 3600-5002 pairing leaves something to be desired I feel. I also tried driving a pair of tube monoblocks with the 3600 and that also wasn't a match made in heaven. Currently I drive a couple of nice pro-amps with the 3600 and that seems to be a great match up.
In the few months that I've had mine I'd have to agree with you that 3600 does sound it's best with a clean sounding amp with very little tonal character. My yamaha works well with the 3600 and my restored proton d1200 sounds nice paired up with it as well. Good luck getting your 170. I've never heard one but certainly would like to.
 
I may be getting my hands on a 170DC very soon. I am really looking forward to FINALLY hearing one of the DC series amps. I will be pairing it up with a fully restored and tweaked (to my taste) Marantz 3600 preamp.

The 3600 paired with a restored 250 sounds really nice and full, or vintaggie if you like. This has always left me to wonder what a "cleaner" sounding amp would sound like paired with this pre.

If I could only speed up tiime to get my amp???

charles

You will like! :yes:
 
Maybe it could help you :

IMG_5134.jpg


Just touch the screen and close your eyes...

The SM : http://www.acec13.fr/tvc/Marantz/ressources/170/170DC_SM_MARANTZ_EN.pdf
The UM : http://www.acec13.fr/tvc/Marantz/ressources/170/170DC_UM_Marantz_Vintage_Corner.pdf
 
Very nice amp! I got greedy for wattage and headroom, and passed up on them to collect a quad of its big brother, the 300dc, instead, but have always appreciated the 170dc, too. It's a beautiful amp (the two models are almost identical in appearance, except for a few buttons) with a very nice, clean sound. I think you'll love it!

It should pair very well with your 3600, too. I don't have a 3600, but paired up a couple of my 300dcs with 3650s, and they sound GREAT together: clean, detailed, silent noise floor, but still warm and not harsh. I think your pairing will sound very similar, and if it does, I think you'll be VERY happy! :music:

You might want to read Ben Blish's comments about his 3650 +300dc pairing, on his website. While these are not exactly the same models, they are the closest models in the same series, and so should be pretty similar in sound quality. You're in for a treat! :thmbsp:
 
Where the hell did you find a quad of 300DC amplifiers, Arkay?

To the OP; I've got a 3600, too, although I've yet to do a complete restoration on it, it's in a lot better shape now than when I got it, and it sounds a lot more natural that the preamp it replaced, the Sony 1000ESD. The 3600 sounds to me like it goes a lot deeper naturally and the highs are crisp, even with its aging components!

I can't wait to get my 300DC up and running to pair it up to the 3600, then I have to get myself a Sony ESPIRT to match to my TA-F6B amp...

Decisions decisions...


I expect a full review as I've heard that the 300DC is supposed to sound like a 170DC with more oomph!


Philip.
 
Back
Top Bottom