• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How about strange gear?

tau_ceti

Active Member
Hi all, so I joined Audio Karma to find out more about the Nakamichi System One and its components. That is a pretty odd system, the oddest part of which is probably the Nakamichi 610 control preamplifier, which is more than a preamplifier…*to quote Nakamichi…*

Secondly, the Nakamichi 610 is a relatively sophisticated test instrument. Built-in test tone oscillators, pink noise generator, phase checkers and precision dB meters, just to name a few, make the 610 an invaluable tool in the calibration, alignment and evaluation of stereo system components.

Special switching features facilitate the A/B comparison of phono cartridges, tape decks, power amplifiers, loudspeakers, etc.

Last, but not least, the Nakamichi 610 is a mixing console. It allows 5 in/2 out mixing of any of 19 different inputs. This includes 5 wide-dynamic-range microphone inputs. One can, for example, mix two tape decks (stereo, of course) plus center channel voice onto a third tape deck, or two phonographs plus voice, or any combination of these sources. Live recording takes on a new dimension with the 610: with two left, two right and one blend microphone inputs the live recordist can produce some very professional results.

The Nakamichi 610, in short, will become a must for the serious audiophile. Even the audiophile who has everything will wonder how he ever managed to do without the 610.
​

Nakamichi610Front-03.jpg
(TowerBoss's 610)

What else is out there? Now I'm not talking about tweaks, black boxes meant to reduce dark energy or whatever. I'm thinking about ideas that may have even been good ideas (merge Pro Audio and Hi-Fi, make a 610) but, well …*
 
Register to hide this ad
Not strictly audio, but I have a few odd Byrds.. A couple of Nems-Clarke Special Communications Receivers, from the late Fifties/early Sixties. These bad bois receive from like 25-250 Mcs, & they were MAYBE made for one of those "Alphabet" agencies around DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland that the gummint don't like to talk about...I could tell you more, but then I'd hafta KILL you, & we don't want that...Another odd duck I have is a Specific Products WWVC receiver, a "Dedicated" radio that only picks up the Gov't time station, WWV, on 5 different frequencies. Nowadays, we rely on the internet, but back 50 or so years ago, if you HAD to have the absolute correct time, you used WWV. The WWVC receiver is basically useless, but it sure as hell LOOKS Kewl...Mil-Spec/hi-grade commercial construction, steel expanded metal cover over the 2" speaker, a 2" oscilloscope, it has a delightful "Cold War/Mad scientist" look to it..
 
Not strictly audio, but I have a few odd Byrds.. A couple of Nems-Clarke Special Communications Receivers, from the late Fifties/early Sixties. These bad bois receive from like 25-250 Mcs, & they were MAYBE made for one of those "Alphabet" agencies around DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland that the gummint don't like to talk about...I could tell you more, but then I'd hafta KILL you, & we don't want that...Another odd duck I have is a Specific Products WWVC receiver, a "Dedicated" radio that only picks up the Gov't time station, WWV, on 5 different frequencies. Nowadays, we rely on the internet, but back 50 or so years ago, if you HAD to have the absolute correct time, you used WWV. The WWVC receiver is basically useless, but it sure as hell LOOKS Kewl...Mil-Spec/hi-grade commercial construction, steel expanded metal cover over the 2" speaker, a 2" oscilloscope, it has a delightful "Cold War/Mad scientist" look to it..

Let's see some pics Sandy.
 
I joined AK primarily to learn more about my ADS Model 10 delay amp. Its not working right now, and the shop I use was very honest and said they werent sure if they could fix it after they took a look and realized they didnt know where the short was. Since then I've found a few places that are ADS repair shops and will hopefully take it in soon.

Everything Ive ever heard says that its a great unit but until it gets up and running its a very very heavy paper weight...
 
Wow. Sounds odd. How about unusual takes on relatively normal equipment like the Sonab Kolboxen by Stig Carlson.
1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom