• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How about the Bose 10.2?

tiga

Super Member
Most of the newer Bose speakers I've heard I haven't been too impressed with. What are the opinions on their older models however, in particular the 10.2 Series II Towers? The few reviews I've seen elsewhere on this model have been positive but you never know. I appreciate everyone's opinions on this model - thanks!

Tiga
 
Register to hide this ad
From what I've read, the use of similar driver material, such as paper for all drivers, aids in creating a smooth, seamless integration across frequencies while disparate materials, such as metal dome tweeters with poly midrange drivers, can create a disjointed sound with each driver having different resonant characteristics. While the use of paper cone tweeters can be an advantage, the 10.2 Series II speakers will be from 16 to 22 years old, and surrounds can be compromised due to aging in as little as 15 years. I don't know which new Bose speakers you've auditioned, but I've been happy with the latest version of the 301 (also uses dual 2" tweeters but with a single 8" driver rather than the two in the 10.2 system). They didn't sound very good in the store, but properly positioned at home and with a good source (LP12/Ittok/Grado Platinum/PH-1 phono stage) and amplification (Audio by Van Alstine solid state gear) they've provided very enjoyable listening.
 
My whole point is the drivers are at one end of the line compared to what is available. Back in 99 Martin Sound Products purchased a buyout. They were selling the 2" and 3' Tonnegan tweeters for 25 cents a piece. The tweeters drop off above 8khz. The 6.5" drivers were 3.95 $ and the cube drivers were 2.95 $ a piece. I used these drivers to experiment with comparing closed box responses to transmission line loading of high qts. drivers. I would not consider any Bose product a reference system.
 
My whole point is the drivers are at one end of the line compared to what is available. Back in 99 Martin Sound Products purchased a buyout. They were selling the 2" and 3' Tonnegan tweeters for 25 cents a piece. The tweeters drop off above 8khz. The 6.5" drivers were 3.95 $ and the cube drivers were 2.95 $ a piece. I used these drivers to experiment with comparing closed box responses to transmission line loading of high qts. drivers. I would not consider any Bose product a reference system.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that Martin Sound Products bought out Bose's inventory of speaker drivers and was able to make them available at these low prices? That you were then able to experiment with Bose drivers in alternate cabinet designs?

The term "reference system" usually implies a performance level that's as good as it's possible to get, that it's not possible to better it with existing technology. No one's making that claim for the old floorstanders the OP was asking about nor for the inexpensive bookshelf speakers I'm enjoying now. My point was that old speakers can be problematic due to the aging of their parts, and that it's possible that the OP hasn't heard newer Bose speakers, which he's been unimpressed with, to their best advantage. The 301 would be most similar to the 10.2 in terms of driver selection, and they're providing me with very enjoyable sound. Like any speaker, they need some care and experimentation with location and positioning in the listening room, a good signal source, and quality amplification to sound their best. I suspect many dismiss Bose without giving them a fair audition.
 
Thanks for all the responses. I wish I could remember which Bose speaker models I"ve listened to in recent memory, but I can't -although I beleive I listened to some at BB so maybe that helps.

I was hoping someone has listened to this 10.2 model as I have a line on a set here but not sure I wanted to spend the time auditioning or even the money to purchase if the census here pointed to them not being all that great. (yikes what a run-on sentence)
 
A roommate back in the early 90s owned a pair of 10.2s, the version with dual 8" woofers, and two small cone tweeters (approx. two inches) mounted on a metal bar & suspended in front of the front-firing woofer.

I liked them. Clean, punchy bass with smooth highs, and unlike many modern "accurate" speakers with their knife-sharp sonics*, the Bose could be listened to for extended periods without a problem, even at high volumes. They do need to be positioned properly though, because of their special tweeter array but otherwise, nice to have around IMO. And I also thought their clean columnar shape looked very nice, with their chocolate brown (I think!) grills and light oak veneer - they actually added to the looks of our dumpy bachelor pad :D instead of being a jarring eyesore like so many newer speakers seemingly styled to match those slick-but-cold living rooms seen in architectural magazines.



* to give such speakers a break, I'm sure they don't sound that way with excellent recordings, like those from Telarc, Chesky or AIX, but for most rock/pop albums recorded by "regular" music labels.......
 
Last edited:
Martin Sound as well as Madisound have purchased over stocks from driver manufactures over the years that were advertised as Bose drivers.. Gefco use to manu their 10" driver. The angle off setting of drivers has been done by many other companies. Allison,TDL,Radford etc. have sold speakers with drivers angled in their cabinets. The Wave radio is a type of transmission line. I wouldn't consider my statements a bash just an observation of the drivers used in their systems compared to other Speaker companies. Most of the general public are not willing to spend the money on high end speakers due to their cost.
 
Back
Top Bottom