• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How bad did I screw up? (Large Advents)

We've all "been there, done that" to some degree. Just chalk that one up to "experience". Hell, last year I purchased a pair of speakers for the fourth time (not the same pair, but same make/model). Every time I bought them, I liked them, but someone else liked/wanted/needed them more than I did. This pair is finally staying--I might not be able to come up with another pair if I let these ones go.
 
The reason I gave my AR12's to my brother. Had replaced the rotted woofers with others I can't remember (they were from a sound store so decent drivers). Ran them that way for a few yrs, sounded fine.

Purchased a whole new system in 91, this was the final catalyst to let them go. But making it an even bigger blunder I sold my Kenwood KA7100, along with the rest of the system. Now why did I do that? I still had systems purchased before the Kenwood? Reason, told the wife I would if we got a new system, stupid stupid stupid lol.

This is also what led to my recent acquisition of a vintage setup for the living rm, Kenwood & AR again, I'm home. Who says you can never go back.

20181028_171129.jpg
 
Same as it ever was...

We've talked a lot about Advents over the years at AK. Almost 10 years ago Zilch and I measured Advents here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-advent-loudspeaker.165025/

We've learned a lot about these speakers. Small changes do matter. Keep the grilles on, they're an integral part of the sound. Toeing the speakers inward toward your listening position helps extend the frequency response. Stacking doesn't necessarily improve things, in fact you could argue that it does this speaker a disservice. The strength of the Advent is the original woofer.
 
OK, I didn't have time to remove the woofer to obtain an ID number last night, but I did take this photo.
I can't remember if I put those spacer blocks behind the velcro but I do remember the new woofer sticking out more than the original.

UBI7iAyl.jpg
 
Last edited:
Guys I have weekly transport from MA to/from SE PA and if we could arrange pick up of the woofers on each end, could save shipping. I could refoam them, too, if the OP isn't up for that. Waltham is about an hour from the primary MA location so it may take a bit to make a pickup/dropoff.
 
I just need to dig out the woofers (they are at my summer house) and get them back to civilization. At this point they are just taking up space and I will likely never use them.
 
Update: A generous AKer gave me a pair of 1974 Large Advent woofers without surrounds in exchange for me making a donation to a local children's hospital. This weekend I re-foamed the surrounds and installed the woofers. They sound perfect!!

ND5SSfM.jpg

Cleaning the old surround remnant

f6OIbnm.jpg

One new surround complete

tBsvXWr.jpg

Woofer installed

qbvNF9y.jpg

And the other one!
 
Update: A generous AKer gave me a pair of 1974 Large Advent woofers without surrounds in exchange for me making a donation to a local children's hospital. This weekend I re-foamed the surrounds and installed the woofers. They sound perfect!!

ND5SSfM.jpg

Cleaning the old surround remnant

f6OIbnm.jpg

One new surround complete

tBsvXWr.jpg

Woofer installed

qbvNF9y.jpg

And the other one!
Large Advents of some fashion, firewood, Talking Heads...what's not to like:thumbsup:


Cloudy beer in there to boot!
 
There are more than one pair on Barter Town right now. Pony up for $25/year and buy some, or start a WTB ad for a pair of NLA woofers.

Edit: The woofers given to you are the wrong ones. They are from the Original Large Advent (OLA). You have the New Large Advent (NLA). They used a different woofer. The tweeter you have is definitely from the NLA. The link below shows both versions. You may have to log in again to see the photos at the bottom of each post after clicking on the link.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/identifying-your-advent-loudspeakers.126376/
 
Last edited:
I sold some Tannoy DMT12’s to a fellow that had an early 90’s Carver stack. He mentioned he had all Mcintosh tube gear before he (upgraded) to the Carver set. This was all running some JBL L220’s. He said he threw the Mac gear in the trash given it was outdated, you read that right, he threw the tube gear in the trash. So in the landfill on Tybee Is GA is an early Mac pre and two tube monoblocks.
 
Back
Top Bottom