• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Bout them Marantz Seperates 3200 140 Rebuild Ceramics?

patfont

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have in house Marantz 3200/140 combo, do not see many Marantz seperate threads so thought I would get this going. Up first will be the 3200 and will even try some before and after with C0G/NPO type ceramics "ala" Leestereo.
 
Register to hide this ad
1st up as usual is the Power Supply Board.


Before shot:





After shot:
New caps installed and voltage set to 75.

 
Last edited:
Looking forward to your thoughts on the C0G capacitors; it's good of you to undertake "before and after" tests!
 
on to the relay board and recapped. Relay was cleaned and not replaced. This one has the gold contacts, but it will still not last forever, but doing fine now.





 
What will happen is this, I usually like to rebuild a component the best that I can parts wise etc, I then let the component burn in. At that point I take a critical listen, if I am happy with the sound I move on (not often) if not I make changes in the locations that may be the offender/offenders. At this point when I am satisfied I will then do the ceramics and take another critical listen.:scratch2:





Looking forward to your thoughts on the C0G capacitors; it's good of you to undertake "before and after" tests!
 
What will happen is this, I usually like to rebuild a component the best that I can parts wise etc, I then let the component burn in. At that point I take a critical listen, if I am happy with the sound I move on (not often) if not I make changes in the locations that may be the offender/offenders. At this point when I am satisfied I will then do the ceramics and take another critical listen.:scratch2:

Since component changes interact with each other, do you sometimes have to go back and make different choices? This may be the case here with C0G capacitors (due to their low pF values, there are no better alternatives) and to "tweak" the sound the changes will reside with the earlier electrolytic or the small film substitutions.
 
Sorry to be confusing, I will get the 3200 sounding to my satisfaction, and then add the ceramics. I may then also remove them again just to verify.:D
 
For me the Pre board is always the hardest. based on what worked well on other Marantz PE01 boards this is my start, after initial listening things will probably get changed:scratch2:

We have:

Mundorf EVO Oils
Riken Ohm Resistors
FG's
KL's
MKS2's
Silmic RBS


 
Last edited:
The 4 large Main Filter Caps "Nichicon KG's" are here for the 140........must wait until 3200 is done.:cry:


 
Going lower on the filter cap values? Let me know how you like them, I may use the KG's on my second one. :D
 
Here is that picture of the Cornell caps I used Pat. I just reshaped the existing ground strap and drilled a hole in it to fit the screw tops. The link on that 140 you gave me earlier is how I will connect them on my other 140.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0166.jpg
    100_0166.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 151
So I decided as the 3200 burns in to get going on the 140:

relay board before/after:









Meter Boards, new cap new "peak" bulbs check all transistors and diodes etc:





 
Meter Velum, I always say to myself this does not look so bad, that is until I put it up against the new!





Velum is on the meter: Also have the new caps in initial position:


 
Back
Top Bottom