• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do I get SACD output out of this receiver

Sergimm

Active Member
I found a Sony HCD-SB500W home theater receiver on the curb. I picked it up immediately when I saw the SACD logo on it, since recently my Denon SACD player stopped reading them.

At home I verify that it works and that it reads SACDs (identifies the disc on the screen and starts playing the first track). So all good until I look at the connections at the back and I can’t find any audio output besides the proprietary Sony 5.1 speaker connectors :no: (see photos)

Is there a way I can get the audio signal out of this receiver?? Ideally I’d like to connect it’s output to an amplifier input. I am only interested on it as a SACD Transport.

It does have a frontal 3.5mm Jack that I could use, but I suspect that the audio quality that it outputs leaves a lot to be desired...
 

Attachments

  • FBE3F1F6-F7D0-4B28-9F8E-AB7C0B9EF068.jpeg
    FBE3F1F6-F7D0-4B28-9F8E-AB7C0B9EF068.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 6358705B-BD80-49DB-9822-4BF4AE00D3C3.jpeg
    6358705B-BD80-49DB-9822-4BF4AE00D3C3.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 65
Register to hide this ad
Good question. There are no digital audio or analog RCA line out connections on that unit. You'll have to use the Sony unit and the speakers of your choice plugged into that unit to listen to SACD. It's not built to be a transport.
 
Your only option is the headphone jack.

Sony deliberately prevented the ability to output the digital stream (other than via HDMI on some units) for SACD sources as part of their DRM.
 
Your only option is the headphone jack.

Sony deliberately prevented the ability to output the digital stream (other than via HDMI on some units) for SACD sources as part of their DRM.
How’s the quality of the headphone jack? Does it compare to the RCA output? Or is the circuitry for the headphone jack somehow worse? In other words, of what I want is good sound, can I get it from the headphone jack? And would it be directly pluggable to an amp line input?
 
If what you want is good sound I’d put the Sony back on the curb and buy yourself a new SACD player.
 
Back
Top Bottom