• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do you correct with vinyl?

Vintagear

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was curious to see what method members here use to correct room and speaker placement resonance problems when they spin their vinyl. Especially the folks with higher end gear. There are a lot of members here with very nice tables and phono stages but I sometimes see setups in pics that do not seem anywhere near optimal to me based on their speakers and placement.

I ask because I run stand-mounts with a sub and for digital files I use the parametric EQ in Roon and it makes a HUGE difference in SQ. I'm just getting back into vinyl and I don't have a physical PEQ so I'm at a loss when it comes to vinyl playback with my reference speaker set-up.

What approach do you take with vinyl? Do you care and correct the sound in your room or do you just listen to however it sounds in your set-up?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
You could always get an actual parametric EQ if that's what works for you. I mostly use speaker placement, room treatments, and trial and error combined with just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
 
In one system I did run a DEQX, which resided between amplification and pre amp. I could measure the room, perform time correction, eq correction, tri amp, and control crossover points and slopes, The unit could also function as a DAC and a pre amp, however as a pre it only had one input. However, like any component it would have its own contribution to the sound, it was not totally transparent. I have chosen to not use it, and prefer to work with room treatments and good speaker placement to get the system properly situated.

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
In one system I did run a DEQX, which resided between amplification and pre amp. I could measure the room, perform time correction, eq correction, tri amp, and control crossover points and slopes, The unit could also function as a DAC and a pre amp, however as a pre it only had one input. However, like any component it would have its own contribution to the sound, it was not totally transparent. I have chosen to not use it, and prefer to work with room treatments and good speaker placement to get the system properly situated.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Yeah that's my concern.

I prefer not to have a physical piece in the chain but I'm open to it if anyone has any high quality totally transparent recommendations. With speaker placement constraints and limitations (that I'm sure EVERYONE has whether they believe it or not), there is absolutely NO WAY I can get an optimal set-up to extract the full capabilities of my equipment with vinyl. At least not in my primary reference set-up.

In my secondary set-ups its fine because I'm not looking for it but in my primary room with the 805D2 & REL S/2 when I use the PEQ in Roon with digital files it's game over. The main room is approx. 20' x 12' x 8' and even with stand-mounts placed out into the room I have to correct for a 50Hz spike (as well as a few other minor adjustments). By doing so I am able to dramatically increase the output of the REL S/2 to get a usable 20Hz in my room. Nice and even across the board- you can't really appreciate it until you actually hear the difference.

It's unbelievable the difference these adjustments can make in resolution even when you are dealing with reference quality speakers. It really is night & day.

If I try to play vinyl into the main room I would have to re-adjust everything because it would be an unbearable boom fest'.
 
Some wall treatment and 4 subs - Distributed bass - Google Dr Earl Geddes

I'm aware of Geddes' work and the benefits of distributed bass. Unfortunately while those methods take care of low bass modes in a room I don't think that they correct the in-room 50-60h Hz issues coming from main speakers that is so common in many set-ups (what many perceive as deep bass in a speaker).
 
Where are you crossing over the sub? Do the mains run full-range? What are the dimensions of the room?

I'm thinking you may be able to adjust this problem away...
 
I suggest getting Jim Smith's book "Getting Better Sound" I used his method with excellent results. My room is less than optimum for listening but I have very good soundstage width and depth and have tamed almost all of the bass resonance problems to an acceptable level.
 
I'm aware of Geddes' work and the benefits of distributed bass. Unfortunately while those methods take care of low bass modes in a room I don't think that they correct the in-room 50-60h Hz issues coming from main speakers that is so common in many set-ups (what many perceive as deep bass in a speaker).

It works in my room very well . As for Jim Smiths room he uses 2 Tannoy Westminsters and 2 REL RS212 subs . I was in Jims room and the bass response is excellent , I would try one more sub
 
Prior to adding panels I was constantly fiddling with speaker placement and constantly readjusting the settings on my sub. Only getting nowhere.

On reading about the usefulness of panels for sorting various room related problems ordered an assortment of 3", 4" and 6" panels. Positioning the 6" panels directly behind my towers and in the corners made the most difference. Afterwards tighter, stronger, faster bass, much more natural sounding. When it comes to bass management, thickness counts. The thinner panels ending up at reflection points on the ceiling and opposing wall.

My fiddly days are behind me, serenity is the new order of the day.
 
Back
Top Bottom