• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do you use the preamp on the G8000?

gusto

New Member
What's involved in using a power amplifier through my G8000 preamp? I assume I can use all the controls on the front panel including the use of the G8000 tuner but I'm not sure. Explain what connections have to be made. I have an idea how but I want to be sure I do it right.
 
Register to hide this ad
Left and right pre outs on the back of your G, to L and R inputs on the back of your amp. Speakers from the amp. Done.
 
Change the switch on side of the unit from connected to seperated #2(to be safe). Now just hook some RCAs up to the preamp out going to the amp and whala. Obviously the speakers need to be hooked to the amp. If there is a volume or output level on the amp itself set that to half.
 
Many Sansui receivers and amps of that era have a switch that connects the amp and preamp rather than jumpers. If you don't set the switch to "seperate" the pre amp will still be connected to the receiver's amp.

- Pete
 
Thanks Pete. I bought a Phase Linear 400 power amplifier and thought instead of buying a preamp for it I already have one in the G8000. I assume I can also use the G8000 tuner in the seperated #2 setup. Is that correct?
 
gusto said:
Thanks Pete. I bought a Phase Linear 400 power amplifier and thought instead of buying a preamp for it I already have one in the G8000. I assume I can also use the G8000 tuner in the seperated #2 setup. Is that correct?

Yes. I would recommend you have a power conditioner if you use #1. I think that's right? #2 setting protects your unit from a power surge i think.
 
hmmmshai_hulud said:
Yes. I would recommend you have a power conditioner if you use #1. I think that's right? #2 setting protects your unit from a power surge i think.

The position of the Separated switch (#1 or #2) makes no difference if you are just using the pre-out jacks. The difference is in the way the PRE-IN jacks are connected to the G-8000. In position #1 it is a direct connection to the power amp, position #2 is Capacitive coupled to the power amp. This is to prevent DC from the power amp in the G-8000 from a source that may have a DC component.

You just need to move it from connected if you do not want to use the G-8000 power amp.
 
Gusto, It's pretty basic stuff dude. I don't own a G yet, so I am not aware of any separator switch or I would've mentioned it. My 9090db has no such switch. I used to run an amp off of it all the time cause all my amps have more power than the receivers' amp does. And I still got that Sansui sound. Best of both worlds.

What kind of shape is your 400 in? What speakers are you going to run in combination with the G and the 400?
 
9090db has steel jumpers to connect the preamp and amp. The G-8000/G-9000 has a three-position switch on the left side near the speaker terminals.
 
bigstereo said:
Gusto, It's pretty basic stuff dude. I don't own a G yet, so I am not aware of any separator switch or I would've mentioned it. My 9090db has no such switch. I used to run an amp off of it all the time cause all my amps have more power than the receivers' amp does. And I still got that Sansui sound. Best of both worlds.

What kind of shape is your 400 in? What speakers are you going to run in combination with the G and the 400?
I haven't received the Phase Linear 400 yet. It's in the mail. It's supposed to be in excellent condition. I am hooking up the 4 ohm Magnepan MG12 speakers rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms (about 200 watts at 4 ohms) that the G8000 doesn't seem to have enough power to handle. The protection relay kicks in after a short time. I checked the DC offset voltage and it's plus or minus 1mv and the bias is around 16mv. The G8000 works fine with other speakers. The Phase Linear puts out 200 watts at 8 ohms and 400 watts at 4 ohms as you well know since you own one. Gusto
 
Back
Top Bottom