• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Does He Do That?

Register to hide this ad
First trick: Magnetic ring on his finger. The one coin that is steel inside was not under his hand, he somehow got it into the glass, and got it stuck on the glass from the bottom. Draw the magnet away, it falls, giving the appearance it went through the glass.

Second trick: look at his hand under the table before he whacks it. He's got a coin in that hand. I don't know how he gets rid of the third one on top!

Third trick...OMG.
 
I was lucky enough to grow up with a best friend who IS a magician, so I learned every gag he learned, as he learned them. I won't tell you how this guy does these illusions, because that sucks all the fun out of it; but I can tell you that he's not even all that slick.

And no, there's no hole in the glass.

One of the best coin guys I've ever seen. The quality of the video kinds sucks, but the sleight of hand sure doesn't.

Ladies and Gentlemen, David Roth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpBgDffoCqA
 
A magician, whether professional or amateur, should never reveal how a trick is done, except to another professional or serious (motivated) student.

I have a library here of a couple hundred professional musicians' instruction books (some rare and valuable), and used to consult with some professional musicians on stagecraft, having done a bit of stage work. (Heck, I used to post more on a magic board than on AK! :D) I know how those things are done, but sorry... I ain't tellin! :no:

I'll tell you this: "It's magic!"
:D

Seriously, it's better to be puzzled by these things than to have them explained, because, as fotno so aptly put it, "that sucks all the fun out of it"! It also makes it hard for magicians like the guy in the video, who have spend countless hours honing their skills, to continue performing and making a living. No one wants to see tricks that don't mystify them! It gets harder all the time to fool people, as more and more people learn how many tricks are done.

If you REALLY want to know the "secrets", start learning some tricks, any tricks, and start practicing. Work up a routine with some patter to show some earnest interest. You'll find that once you've put in some dues --it doesn't take much, really-- to demonstrate a genuine interest in learning magic and not just a passing curiosity to know how things work, plenty of magicians will welcome you into the community and help you out, just like the folks here on AK do with fellow enthusiasts. The only difference is that the magicians need to keep a little bit of an "entry hurdle" in place to weed out the idle curious, for obvious reasons.
 
A magician, whether professional or amateur, should never reveal how a trick is done, except to another professional or serious (motivated) student.

I have a library here of a couple hundred professional musicians' instruction books (some rare and valuable), and used to consult with some professional musicians on stagecraft, having done a bit of stage work. (Heck, I used to post more on a magic board than on AK! :D) I know how those things are done, but sorry... I ain't tellin! :no:

I'll tell you this: "It's magic!"
:D

Seriously, it's better to be puzzled by these things than to have them explained, because, as fotno so aptly put it, "that sucks all the fun out of it"! It also makes it hard for magicians like the guy in the video, who have spend countless hours honing their skills, to continue performing and making a living. No one wants to see tricks that don't mystify them! It gets harder all the time to fool people, as more and more people learn how many tricks are done.

If you REALLY want to know the "secrets", start learning some tricks, any tricks, and start practicing. Work up a routine with some patter to show some earnest interest. You'll find that once you've put in some dues --it doesn't take much, really-- to demonstrate a genuine interest in learning magic and not just a passing curiosity to know how things work, plenty of magicians will welcome you into the community and help you out, just like the folks here on AK do with fellow enthusiasts. The only difference is that the magicians need to keep a little bit of an "entry hurdle" in place to weed out the idle curious, for obvious reasons.

Amen. A good magician has studied and perfected their craft for many years, and we reap the benefit of their hard work with amazement and wonder. A beautiful thing.

Given a choice between knowing how it's done, and having no idea; I'd choose having no idea every single time. At this point I am relegated to watching magicians as a curious student (which has its own perks to be sure) instead of an amazed and confounded member of the audience. The greatest gift magicians give us, is a return to the wonder we experienced so freely in our childhoods, and rarely now.
 
He didn't make a lot of TV appearances, but there are a few videos of the fantastic Tony Slydini up on YouTube. Well worth the viewing. All of the modern card and coin manipulators owe a huge debt to him.
 
Back
Top Bottom