• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Expensive To Get Into A MC Cartridge?

drillher

Super Member
I have been ysing a decent 30 plus year old Signet cartridge,which sounds good.I have read that better detail is possible with MC cartridges.There is a huge variation in price points for step up transformers and the MC cartridge it self.How much would I need to spend to have a marked upgrade over my MM Signet with a MC set up?Thanks,
Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
you could get one of many high-output MC cartridges and save the step-up or higher end phono amp costs. A Denon DL-110 costs around $125, and things go up from there.
 
Signet made some mighty fine cartridges, both MM and MC, and it might be a sideways move at best if compared to the lower priced MC cartridges. Which Signet cartridge do you have?
 
You can get an Ortofon X1 or a Denon DL-110 for around $100-$125, as mentioned above. I have both and love them equally.
 
When you're in the world of high-output MC, you really haven't made the same leap as going to the low-output MC.
 
How much would I need to spend to have a marked upgrade over my MM Signet with a MC set up?Thanks,
Dave
I think this is they key question; not just what you'd need to spend to get into an MC, but to get into an MC AND have it be an upgrade.

I don't personally know the cartridge you've been running, so I'll leave a specific suggestions to others. But I can report that when I switched from an AT150MLx (MM) to the ATOC9MLII (LOMC), (all other electronics the same 'cept for using the LOCM circuit of my phono stage), it wasn't simply more detail, it was a more relaxed and open sound stage that grew not only in breadth, but also opened back, through the wall behind the speakers. I guess you could call that better detail, but that doesn't capture the whole difference IME.
 
below are some choices to get you started. these are new products which is a safe way to know they will be as advertised.

the denon 103 is very popular and has an organic sound with very authoritative bass and has a conical stylus. the at33 is a more refined cartridge with elliptical stylus and is commensurately more money.

the stepup transformer is necessary to bring low output mc level up to the approximate voltage put out by a mm cart.

high output MCs arent in the same league as low output and must be considered a compromise. i personally recommend low output for better sonics.

search around for the best prices online.

http://www.jr.com/audio-technica/pe/AT_AT33EV/

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-F7-Moving-Cartridge/dp/B00350KDHW

http://www.lpgear.com/product/DENONDL103.html

http://www.lpgear.com/product/DENONAU300LC.html
 
I had a Denon DL-110 and although a competent performer it is not in the same league as my Benz Micro Ace carts, either medium output of high output. But to be fair they are not in the same price range by a long way.
 
I don't want to make a lateral move from my Signet TK7E,so it seems that I will need a step up transformer.How much does one need to spend on the transformer?Are there good used transformers to look for?I have around 2k to spend.I like the description of a deeper sound stage.Thanks for the input.
Dave
 
A top of the line stylus for the Signet TK7 cartridge will let you appreciate what that cartridge can do given the opportunity!:music:
 
if you look in my previous post that included links, you'll see i covered a SUT for an affordable price but if you can go higher, and it seems you can, then consider the dynavector p75II and perhaps a dynavector 17dIII combo.

the p75 is a complete mm/mc phono section that has been well received in the audio press and used, they dont last long on a'gon. again, new may suit you better.

i found one used in this ad, dont know if its still available:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/473377/fs-dynavector-p75-phono-pre-amp

i think the current new price is $850.
 
with a budget of $2K you have lots to choose from. A Jolida JD9 Phono stage is a very good example with alot of modifications to upgrade it considerable. For MC's, I have a Denon 103R that I like alot. They can be had for anywhere from $200 and up. Wish I could remember the site I got mine. It was just under $200. The 103R was my first MC. I also have a Dynavector 23RS. Its one of the older Karats by them but I had it re-tipped. Its highly regarded. Dynavector has the 17D now and I heard its a great MC too. I havent heard it myself though but those that have it like it alot.

Benz also is highly regarded. You have alot of options. These guys here will load you up with great information. Have fun choosing!
 
Back
Top Bottom