• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How good is Dynaco 120 & Pat 4? Compared to receiver?

SPOautos

Active Member
I have the opportunity to get a Dymaco 120 and Pat 4 for $150. I've been looking at a Onkyo tx-2500mkii and a Kenwood-KA7100.

How does the Dynaco compare in terms of clarity and realism? Also, if I ever change to a Dynaco tube amp would the Pat 4 work with it?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'll also be using a Kenwood KD-550 turntable and Advent Large speakers. I'll mostly be listening to jazz, blues, classical, and occasional classic rock.

I'm looking for a warm clarity and realism...like they and in the room and In hearing instruments not speakers....I know I cant attain that, but it's the unobtainable goal lol
 
I have the opportunity to get a Dymaco 120 and Pat 4 for $150. I've been looking at a Onkyo tx-2500mkii and a Kenwood-KA7100.

How does the Dynaco compare in terms of clarity and realism? Also, if I ever change to a Dynaco tube amp would the Pat 4 work with it?

Thanks!

I have 3 of the Dynaco amps, all rebuilt with computer grade caps, I like them a lot. If the amp is stock I would pass, if it's been gutted and rebuilt it's no longer a Dynaco amp and I would pass. With that said, I would opt for the Kenwood, I've also owned this amp, it's quite nice.

If wanting to later try a preamp and power amp then look for an integrated amp with pre outs, and main ins. This will allow you to later add a power amp utilizing the integrated as the preamp.

When looking to replace my long since sold KA7100 I decided this feature would be nice so opted instead for the similar powered KA7300. They look almost identical but that's where the similarities end. Notice the clean architectural layout of the true dual mono design, a definite homage to the legendary Supreme 600. This could possibly be your end game amp, it's that nice.
ka7300_2.jpg
kenKA7300.jpg

With that said, you won't find one for the same kind of money as the 7100.
 
I have 3 of the Dynaco amps, all rebuilt with computer grade caps, I like them a lot. If the amp is stock I would pass, if it's been gutted and rebuilt it's no longer a Dynaco amp and I would pass. With that said, I would opt for the Kenwood, I've also owned this amp, it's quite nice.

If wanting to later try a preamp and power amp then look for an integrated amp with pre outs, and main ins. This will allow you to later add a power amp utilizing the integrated as the preamp.

When looking to replace my long since sold KA7100 I decided this feature would be nice so opted instead for the similar powered KA7300. They look almost identical but that's where the similarities end. Notice the clean architectural layout of the true dual mono design, a definite homage to the legendary Supreme 600. This could possibly be your end game amp, it's that nice.
View attachment 1736546
View attachment 1736550

With that said, you won't find one for the same kind of money as the 7100.

Yeah, the 7100 has been gone through and has new caps and such and no scratchiness in the knob turning or anything, it's real clean and $150. The Onkyo has been looked over, cleaned and new led lights and is $200.

I wouldnt get the preouts with the 7100 but I had this in mind relative to the Dynaco equipment. I've listened to a tube amp that sounded so lifelike and I'm thinking I may go that direction one day, and if so I thought maybe the Pat 4 would work with a tube amp....is that possible??

So you think the Kenwood would sound better than the Dynaco 120/Pat4 setup?
 
Get the Kenwood and be open to upgrades in a year or so as the opportunity arises as it can be sold on for what you buy it for. I had Dynaco in 1970 a decade before the others. stone age is appropriate if not upgraded or refreshed and the kenwood is refreshed...
 
i worked on my neighbor's stereo 120/pat 4 (fresh caps, adjusted bias, ...). I thought it sounded terrible. he liked it.
 
purchased one of my Dynaco 120 amps already refurbed with computer grade caps so when I purchased two more it only made sense to follow suit.

Used these Mallory caps from Mouser, go big or go home I always say.
image-54.jpg


Bi-amping modified Heresys in an old setup at the old digs.
20161125_093526.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom