• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How good Marantz 8B VS Mcintosh MC240

paulvo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi , Can someone give me some info about the Marantz 8B Tube amp. How good are they? How it's sound compares to Mcintosh amp or current model . I want to buy a Marantz tube amp but I have never listen to one before . If you own one or have any experience with model 8B please share your though .
Thank you.
Paulvo
 
Register to hide this ad
I LOVE my 8b. I think it's sound is superior to any other amp I have had in my system/heard including: MC2105, MC2300, MC225, MC60s, Fisher 800b, 500c, 500b, 400, x101st, Sansui 9090, and Latino upgraded Dynaco ST70.

IMHO of course! :D
 
So you know...

I think the preamp pecking order is C22, C20, MX110, C11, best to average.
On amps, MC225, MC240, MC275, MA 230(yuck)
Mono goes MC30, 40, 60, 75

I like my Marantz 8B more than any of the McIntosh, with the 225 being the next closest. The 8B is just a great amp. Just don't try to make me buy the companion 7C preamp.
 
I've had a few 7Cs over the years and always enjoyed them but never an 8B. My dad once bought a 7C and a pair of 2s at a yard sale for $300 for the set!
 
I've had a few 7Cs over the years and always enjoyed them but never an 8B. My dad once bought a 7C and a pair of 2s at a yard sale for $300 for the set!

Wow, what a score! Tell me they are still in the family, or converted to help the family out?
 
I own an 8b and have owned a few Mac tube amps. I had a couple of the newer 275 versions and enjoyed them a lot. Got to live with a 240 for a month and it sounded better to me. I like the 8b more than any of them. fwiw, I do use a 7c with it and think there is a great synergy when they are paired together.
 
I own an 8b and have owned a few Mac tube amps. I had a couple of the newer 275 versions and enjoyed them a lot. Got to live with a 240 for a month and it sounded better to me. I like the 8b more than any of them. fwiw, I do use a 7c with it and think there is a great synergy when they are paired together.

I was disappointed when we listed to the 8B with my friend's 7C, but it just may have been it needed a freshening and new tubes. The 7C sounded the worst of all six tube preamps we heard that day, kludgy and cumbersome. Tired tubes and tired caps all around?

I still have a pair of MC30s and MC40s to play with so maybe I'll get them rebuilt at a tiptop level and see if that works. As they stand, the Marantz gets more love from everyone that comes over, including some Mac freaks. I would dearly love to get my mitts on a MC225, though, as the 7591 output tube seems to be the most musical to my ears, and run at 25 watts will keep them fresh forever.
 
I was disappointed when we listed to the 8B with my friend's 7C, but it just may have been it needed a freshening and new tubes. The 7C sounded the worst of all six tube preamps we heard that day, kludgy and cumbersome. Tired tubes and tired caps all around?

I still have a pair of MC30s and MC40s to play with so maybe I'll get them rebuilt at a tiptop level and see if that works. As they stand, the Marantz gets more love from everyone that comes over, including some Mac freaks. I would dearly love to get my mitts on a MC225, though, as the 7591 output tube seems to be the most musical to my ears, and run at 25 watts will keep them fresh forever.

That's a very fair observation. Comparing units that are 50 yrs old would be difficult at best if they have some tired parts/tubes in them. My 7c and 8b meet or exceed original specs but even then it can come down to individual tastes.

Re 7591 tubes...I hear the musicality your ears hear. I fell in love with 300b/2a3 SETs 10 yrs ago. With the right speakers they sound so right to my ears. Also hear something I like with el84/7189 that my Scott 399 uses. I recently got a Scott 340a because I like the looks but was hesitant because I hadn't heard the 7591's that it uses. Got it/love it. I can see now why the Mac 225 is coveted by so many.

What output tubes do your 30's and 40's use?
 
The MC30s have National Union 350Bs in them, with Telefunkens and a single Mullard each, so the absolute top notch across the board for tubes. Even though they both spec out to original, they just don't make it to the top.

The MC40s are rebadged as Grayson Stadlers, and are totally rebuilt by a friend. Unfortunately he pulled all the prime tubes and put in new EH signal tubes and Ruby 6L6GC masters, and it is taking a while to see if their sound is going to wake up.

They will all hang around while I get some other gear restored, but I would always recommend getting an 8B if the price was right!
 
I envy you people that find old Marantz tube gear locally

I have never seen any near me in Colorado

Love my Mcintosh but always wanted a Marantz too
 
I'm still coming to terms with actually having a model 8 amp here. It has been said that if you have an 8 or 8b and the power is sufficient to needs, you can quit looking.
 
I'm still coming to terms with actually having a model 8 amp here. It has been said that if you have an 8 or 8b and the power is sufficient to needs, you can quit looking.

I agree pretty much with you.

10 yrs ago I heard a 300b SET for the first time and it's been heaven ever since. I have a few vintage systems and I enjoy them in a different way but when I put together a 7c/8b combo, I heard something pretty special that I don't want to let go of.
 
Back
Top Bottom