• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How long does it take

godawgs

What Bill of Rights?
I've installed some very non scientific room treatment. Yes, I do hear a difference, better? :dunno: How long to determine if it is really better, or not? I know every change we make can make a difference and it takes awhile for our ears/brain to adjust, but...
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
When I added sound absorption panels behind my speakers the change in sound was immediate and better. When I added some to the corners of my back wall the booming bass heard in some locations disappeared immediately too. If you're not hearing the difference right away it likely did not help (or hurt !).
 
Long story semi-long. I bought burlap coffee bean bags and put r-5 pink foam in them. Put them on the side walls and behind rear ported speakers, ( Ascend Acoustic SIERRA-2EX V2 ) I had a British Battle Flag I got from a British submarine in Cocoa Beach Fla at the Trident Basin and hung it on the ceiling. I then put an Alpaca rug on the rear wall, ( though not centered to the speakers due to room constraints).
 
Room treatments can't be put just anywhere and be expected to make improvements. You want to place the treatments for the side walls at the first and second reflection points. I doubt the flag is doing anything. "too thin".
When you get it right you should be able to tell immediately an improvement. What's hard is not turning your space into a studio setting if it's also a multi use room such as a living room. The WAF comes into play! Good luck!
 
You want to place the treatments for the side walls at the first and second reflection points.
When you get it right you should be able to tell immediately an improvement.. The WAF comes into play! Good luck!

1. You want to place the treatments for the side walls at the first and second reflection points.

Got that one covered.

2, When you get it right you should be able to tell immediately an improvement.
Sound is most different with the panels placed behind the speakers.

3. The WAF comes into play!

I built my own room in the barn, so... No. Thank God.

I've looked at all the PROPER materials to use and room placement for the last 6 months. I'm not confused on what to use and where, but I just used things laying around and decide to try it.
 
Last edited:
Assessment of end sound results it really a subjective event, and they can differ in estimation.

And your take on things may be different from another is asked to measure. If both opinions coincide, then you are closer to a possible subjective truth.

Not ALL changes make a difference, but some like flooring and walls that are treated, are more obvious after effects that can be noticed.

Then there's positioning of the speakers...another variable to factor in.


Q
 
Did you build a ceiling? If so, at what height? Assuming that the base floor is concrete, what type of floor covering are you using?
Yep, ceiling is 7'. The floor is wood with a 9X7' rug between the speakers an listening position. Speaker stands are spiked.
 
Yep, ceiling is 7'. The floor is wood with a 9X7' rug between the speakers an listening position. Speaker stands are spiked.
I'd think that a larger rug or carpet in your listening space would make as much difference as wall coverings. It all really depends on what type of sound you prefer. Every change to your space, whether it be wall coverings, floor coverings or even repositioned furniture will affect the sound that you hear. Just like with everything else in the audio hobby, experimentation is key.
 
How large is the room? Is there a door? What is the rug made of and underpadding?
The room is 17 'long by 15' wide. 4 1/2' dutch door Northeast corner rear side wall. Man door Westsouth front sidewall. Door to my shop is rear wall Northwest corner. Rug is probably a wool blend oriental. 1000000262.jpg1000000260.jpg1000000259.jpg
 
I looked up the acoustic properties of r-5 pink foam. That ever present online pest AI said it doesn't adsorb sound waves but rather can reflect them. If we can believe AI, using it may be part of the problem. My experience with materials with sound adsorption properties when I was building speaker enclosures many decades ago was that wool or jute padding was superior to fiberglass insulation or foam padding..
 
Nice listening space. :)

I usually try to place a couple open cell polyurethane foam (with 2.0 lb {32 kg} density rating) pads. This is exactly the rating that foam acoustic panels have (but at much greater expense). The wall locations you mentioned are good starting points, but experiment. Also with more wall locations. Important: Don't forget to try a couple on the ceiling (between the listening position and gear).

If you want to make the foam pads look nice, it's an option to stick them behind photo/painting canvas (or blank canvas for the ceiling).

Some more things:
~ Corner bass traps are usually not effective.
~ Also play with speaker placement/toe in & out when experimenting with treatment.
~ Invite an audio friend over so you can sit in the same position whilst they move the panels (and speakers) around for A/B testing. Use their ears too for 2nd opinion. It's fun!
 
I looked up the acoustic properties of r-5 pink foam. That ever present online pest AI said it doesn't adsorb sound waves but rather can reflect them. If we can believe AI, using it may be part of the problem. My experience with materials with sound adsorption properties when I was building speaker enclosures many decades ago was that wool or jute padding was superior to fiberglass insulation or foam padding..
Several years ago I helped a sound engineer friend build sound panels, using recycled denim, for a recording studio he was putting together. Some were put on the walls, and some were hung from the ceiling.
 
Several years ago I helped a sound engineer friend build sound panels, using recycled denim, for a recording studio he was putting together. Some were put on the walls, and some were hung from the ceiling.
I have more examples in mind that work, density is the key it seems.
 
I have more examples in mind that work, density is the key it seems.
Recycled denim is very dense, and used to be (20+ years ago) relatively inexpensive, and readily available. Not so anymore, for either. Because of that, I'll be using Rockwool Safe N sound when I I make my panels.

As to your comment about base traps, I once stacked a couple of very large pillow in a corner, and they did indeed make a big difference. Of course, in that particular house, the one speaker was very close to the corner. In my current house, the speakers are much further from the corners, and I doubt it would it would have the same effect.
 
I've installed some very non scientific room treatment. Yes, I do hear a difference, better? :dunno: How long to determine if it is really better, or not? I know every change we make can make a difference and it takes awhile for our ears/brain to adjust, but...
 
Back
Top Bottom