• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How long have you left anything on by mistake?

My last year in San Antonio, I had 1.5 systems. Source players and Denon receiver in the living room Onkyo receiver in the bedroom getting a signal via the zone 2 output of the Denon. Both receivers were on 24/7. While at least, the jazz station was on. My landlord liked it because it gave people the impression that someone was home. He was not very trusting of my neighborhood. I never had any concerns, but I appreciated that he was always looking out for me. Great guy!
Well then, S/JJ, a justification of the mild (Vampire, as it`s labeled)consumption of electricity that was used, and Landlord approved, to boot.
 
Interesting, Mark W.
This post concerns electrical/electronic equipment left on for sustained periods of time by "mistake" !
Hi Bill,

Well, actually my Friend, not be be contrary, but, this thread is the "How long have you left anything on by mistake" thread, and is not limited only to electric/electronic equipment.

The key element being "left on by mistake" and not left on for an extended time, on purpose :thumbsup:

Hence my description of my gas grill left on full blast for 4 days, that amazingly didn't do a mini "China syndrome" and melt it's way through my deck ;)

(For any of us here not old enough to have seen the movie)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Syndrome
 
I left my EX on for close to ten years and that was a big mistake. Couldn't extinguish that raging fire no matter what I did and when I thought it was out, it would erupt unexpectedly and worse than before. Leaving the outside lights or a stove burner on for a weekend pales in comparison to that life changing experience.
 
Hi Bill,

Well, actually my Friend, not be be contrary, but, this thread is the "How long have you left anything on by mistake" thread, and is not limited only to electric/electronic equipment.

The key element being "left on by mistake" and not left on for an extended time, on purpose :thumbsup:

Hence my description of my gas grill left on full blast for 4 days, that amazingly didn't do a mini "China syndrome" and melt it's way through my deck ;)

(For any of us here not old enough to have seen the movie)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Syndrome
I`ve had that BR disc movie for yrs. !
Well one thing is certain, your natural gas fueled grill was ultra sterilized clean of all previous cooking residuals and additionally heat treated metal tempered to boot !
 
Oh man now my acts of stupidity are coming back to haunt me. Just remembered putting a frozen pizza in the oven (425 degrees) at about 1:00am after a night out. Of course I forgot about it. You should have heard my roommate in the morning when he opened the oven. A black charred disc was waiting ......

NO it wasn't last week!!!! about 1978.

Or getting up in the morning and there is a record still spinning with the arm still down....darn mind altering substances.
 
Ok, we've now got enough keywords in these two posts for me to fess up to mine........

I left a gas grill on........

FOR FOUR DAYS!!!!!!!! :yikes:

But, how is that even possible you ask, wouldn't the propane bottle have run out long before that????? :dunno:

Well yeah, it would have, except.....

The first house I bought had the gas grill on the back deck tied into the house's natural gas supply. On one Friday night I cooked two awesome steaks for the Mrs. and I and left the grill on to burn off the racks. Well, one thing led to another (Hey, I WAS young back then :naughty:) and I completely forgot about the grill! It was the following Tuesday that I happened to walk past it and felt an odd blast of heat blow by me in the breeze. I thought, "That's odd, could the bright sunshine have heated it that much ,so that I was feeling the warmth as I walked past? And then it hit me..... The steaks on Friday, , , the burning off the racks, , , , the :naughty: , , , , oh ****!!!! it's been on since Friday?!?!?!?? Four DAYS?!?!?!? This thing's gotta be destroyed! I lifted the lid fully expecting the burner tubes to have turned to metal dust after running full blast for four days but no, lo and behold it had withstood my forgetfulness, remember this was 35 ish years ago and Webber still built a quality product back then. And yes, you can BET I checked twice each time I used it thereafter to make really really REALLY sure I had shut it off :rflmao:

Believe it or not I think I recall that it only added around $30 to that month's gas bill, but then gas was a whole lot cheaper back then..... ;)
yrs ago my oldest boy was the last one out of the house we went somewhere and when we came home the front door wide open in January for probley atleast 4 hrs ! My wife thought some one broke in ! But I seen our cat and dog setting in the door way and no marks on the door I wasn’t to worried ! No harm but that did raise the gas bill a little ! Atleast the house got a good airing out !
 
Mostly, if you ever leave anything "on," you can see you have, because there may be a panel light, or a slight hum from the speakers.

I've had this for about ten years. They were around £3.5K.

P1000223.JPG

If you leave it on, it will turn itself off after seven minutes. I often play it using earphones, that's the only sound you can hear.
The amplifier is in the base speaker. It has a separate switch. But you don't need if you're using the earphones.
But there is no indication that it is on anywhere. When I play it using the amplifier, on a few occasions, I've left it on when I've turned off the keyboard.
A few times it's been on for a couple of days before I've noticed, as it's completely silent.
You'd think something costing that much would have a indicator light on it to tell you when it was on.
 
Mostly, if you ever leave anything "on," you can see you have, because there may be a panel light, or a slight hum from the speakers.

I've had this for about ten years. They were around £3.5K.

View attachment 3383943

If you leave it on, it will turn itself off after seven minutes. I often play it using earphones, that's the only sound you can hear.
The amplifier is in the base speaker. It has a separate switch. But you don't need if you're using the earphones.
But there is no indication that it is on anywhere. When I play it using the amplifier, on a few occasions, I've left it on when I've turned off the keyboard.
A few times it's been on for a couple of days before I've noticed, as it's completely silent.
You'd think something costing that much would have a indicator light on it to tell you when it was on.
Yes, I would expect it to have both a power indicator LED and auto shut off. All 3 of my BT speakers have both and they would have been a total of $720 (don't know how many Euros that is) had I not gotten the 2nd MB3 at a close out price. That model was replaced by the Megaboom 4. I got the last one Best Buy had.
 
If we're just talking about stereo equipment, I can't ever remember leaving anything on when I wasn't using it. Now, I don't even have to worry about it because all of the components shut off if they aren't used for 30 minutes. I have been known to leave the lights on in the garage or a closet overnight.
 
If we're just talking about stereo equipment, I can't ever remember leaving anything on when I wasn't using it. Now, I don't even have to worry about it because all of the components shut off if they aren't used for 30 minutes. I have been known to leave the lights on in the garage or a closet overnight.

Nope, doesn't only have to be just about stereo equipment. Anything, , , anything at all..... ;)

The thread title;


How long have you left anything on by mistake?​

 
Oil heater in the man cave, nothing worse than cracking the door and realizing that electric heater has been on all night... mostly my head though, that gets left on way to much.
My head doesn't have a power switch. It just keeps going 24/7 conjuring every obsurd thought that one brain can generate without any enhancements. Still, I love being me and maybe because no one else could handle being me. :jump:
 
Ok, we've now got enough keywords in these two posts for me to fess up to mine........

I left a gas grill on........

FOR FOUR DAYS!!!!!!!! :yikes:

But, how is that even possible you ask, wouldn't the propane bottle have run out long before that????? :dunno:

Well yeah, it would have, except.....

The first house I bought had the gas grill on the back deck tied into the house's natural gas supply. On one Friday night I cooked two awesome steaks for the Mrs. and I and left the grill on to burn off the racks. Well, one thing led to another (Hey, I WAS young back then :naughty:) and I completely forgot about the grill! It was the following Tuesday that I happened to walk past it and felt an odd blast of heat blow by me in the breeze. I thought, "That's odd, could the bright sunshine have heated it that much ,so that I was feeling the warmth as I walked past? And then it hit me..... The steaks on Friday, , , the burning off the racks, , , , the :naughty: , , , , oh ****!!!! it's been on since Friday?!?!?!?? Four DAYS?!?!?!? This thing's gotta be destroyed! I lifted the lid fully expecting the burner tubes to have turned to metal dust after running full blast for four days but no, lo and behold it had withstood my forgetfulness, remember this was 35 ish years ago and Webber still built a quality product back then. And yes, you can BET I checked twice each time I used it thereafter to make really really REALLY sure I had shut it off :rflmao:

Believe it or not I think I recall that it only added around $30 to that month's gas bill, but then gas was a whole lot cheaper back then..... ;)
So, did it burn off the racks? Assuming, so it was job done. Sometimes one has to rationalize.
 
I hemmed some new jeans yesterday and just by chance late last night I noticed the steam iron was still plugged in. After unplugging it, I moved the iron and it was still hot even though it had been turned off. Yup, I know where that iron is going!
 
My friend did this after a night of drinking. He woke up to find the grill, also a Weber, had melted onto the deck and the deck was starting to burn up.
Hi Bill, I think I got lucky because it was hooked up to Natural gas VS Propane, had it been Propane perhaps mine would have melted also (if the tank didn't run out first)

PS, thanks Mike Judge, I can't even TYPE the word "Propane" without hearin it in Hank Hill's voice :p



So, did it burn off the racks? Assuming, so it was job done. Sometimes one has to rationalize.

Hi Spicer, oh yes. there wasn't a bit of anything but dried carbon left anywhere inside the grill, so yeah, it did accomplish the cleaning ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom