• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Many Radios Do We AK Gear Junkies Own?

musichal

poet emeritus
You know the difference between a radio and a tuner, even with the blurriest of lines. I'll start:

Tivoli PAL am/fm
Sangean PR-D5 am/fm
C Crane Radio-EP am/fm
eton Satellit (the newish, smaller one) multiband (handsize)
Kaito WRX-911? pocket multiband
a Panasonic RF-B40 portable multiband (handsize)
pocket Sony ICF-S10MK2 am/fm
pocket Durabrand am/fm

So, a modest 8, that I can recall now... hopefully, those with a more interesting collection than mine will show a pic, or two.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Panasonic RF-2200 AM/FM/SW
Sangean ATS-803A AM/FM/SW
GE Superadio III AM/FM

panasonic_rf2200_zpsobboa0od.jpg
 
Last edited:
Despite my father being a ham, I have none. I realized part of what I've been missing on a trip to New Orleans. I haven't tried streaming, and the tuner I got for my wife is busted. Lame, huh?
 
Sansui CK-D500
FADA 1462
Telefunken Jubilate
Telefunken Jubilate (Radio clock, 1953)
Telefunken Studio 1 (best SS radio ever)
SABA Freiburg 100 (best tube radio ever)
SABA RC 562
SABA Freudenstadt 9
SABA Freudenstadt 12
SABA Freiburg 6-3D
SABA Meinau
SABA Villingen
SABA Meersburg
SABA Konstanz
SABA Wildbad
SABA W311
SABA Logic Clock
SABA Electoronic Clock
Blaupunkt Verona

...and many more...
 
Sansui CK-D500
FADA 1462
Telefunken Jubilate
Telefunken Jubilate (Radio clock, 1953)
Telefunken Studio 1 (best SS radio ever)
SABA Freiburg 100 (best tube radio ever)
SABA RC 562
SABA Freudenstadt 9
SABA Freudenstadt 12
SABA Freiburg 6-3D
SABA Meinau
SABA Villingen
SABA Meersburg
SABA Konstanz
SABA Wildbad
SABA W311
SABA Logic Clock
SABA Electoronic Clock
Blaupunkt Verona

...and many more...

This deserves pics, or a link to some, if that's available and easier.
 
I'll bite. Despite the fact that I know I have several radios in my hand right now (an iPhone), I realize I do not know the difference between a radio and a tuner.

The internet, I'm sure, will now do what the internet does and fill this gap in my knowledge.
 
Blaupunkt Derby 660
Grundig Transistor 500
Panasonic RF-2800
Sanyo AM that looks like a tach and mounts above steering wheel
60s Ford Motor Co. promo Japanese built that looks like a 1st gen. Mustang fastback
 
I'll bite. Despite the fact that I know I have several radios in my hand right now (an iPhone), I realize I do not know the difference between a radio and a tuner.
In general terms, a "radio" is any RF receiver and/or transmitter. Your iPhone has those.

Here, we use "radio" to specifically mean a portable, in-vehicle, table-top or console RF receiver, typically intended to be an all-in-one end-user device with an integrated audio amplifier sufficient to (typically) power one or more speakers and/or headphones. It also includes crystal radios which have no audio amplification (or external power!) but that do drive headphones (or an earphone) directly.

A "tuner" generally means an RF receiver intended specifically to be used with a separate audio preamplifier or integrated amplifier. Therefore, it is not an all-in-one device, as it does not have an integrated audio amplifier sufficient to power one or more speakers, though some do have a headphone jack.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom